First area to legalize Marijuana

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
First U.S. marijuana cafe opens in Portland | U.S. | Reuters

By Dan Cook

PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) - The United States' first marijuana cafe opened on Friday, posing an early test of the Obama administration's move to relax policing of medical use of the drug.

The Cannabis Cafe in Portland, Oregon, is the first to give certified medical marijuana users a place to get hold of the drug and smoke it -- as long as they are out of public view -- despite a federal ban.

"This club represents personal freedom, finally, for our members," said Madeline Martinez, Oregon's executive director of NORML, a group pushing for marijuana legalization.

"Our plans go beyond serving food and marijuana," said Martinez. "We hope to have classes, seminars, even a Cannabis Community College, based here to help people learn about growing and other uses for cannabis."

The cafe -- in a two-story building which formerly housed a speak-easy and adult erotic club Rumpspankers -- is technically a private club, but is open to any Oregon residents who are NORML members and hold an official medical marijuana card.

Members pay $25 per month to use the 100-person capacity cafe. They don't buy marijuana, but get it free over the counter from "budtenders". Open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., it serves food but has no liquor license.

There are about 21,000 patients registered to use marijuana for medical purposes in Oregon. Doctors have prescribed marijuana for a host of illnesses, including Alzheimer's, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and Tourette's syndrome.

On opening day, reporters invited to the cafe could smell, but were not allowed to see, people smoking marijuana.

"I still run a coffee shop and events venue, just like I did before we converted it to the Cannabis Cafe, but now it will be cannabis-themed," said Eric Solomon, the owner of the cafe, who is looking forward to holding marijuana-themed weddings, film festivals and dances in the second-floor ballroom.

NO PROSECUTION

The creation of the cafe comes almost a month after the Obama administration told federal attorneys not to prosecute patients who use marijuana for medical reasons or dispensaries in states which have legalized them.

About a dozen states, including Oregon, followed California's 1996 move to adopt medical marijuana laws, allowing the drug to be cultivated and sold for medical use. A similar number have pending legislation or ballot measures planned.

Pot cafes, known as "coffee shops", are popular in the Dutch city of Amsterdam, where possession of small amounts of marijuana is legal. Portland's Cannabis Cafe is the first of its kind to open in the United States, according to NORML.

Growing, possessing, distributing and smoking marijuana are still illegal under U.S. federal law, which makes no distinction between medical and recreational use.

Federal and local law enforcement agencies did not return phone calls from Reuters on Friday seeking comment on the Portland cafe's operations. "To have a place that is this open about its activities, where people can come together and smoke -- I say that's pretty amazing." said Tim Pate, a longtime NORML member, at the cafe.

Some locals are hoping it might even be good for business.

"I know some neighbors are pretty negative about this place opening up," said David Bell, who works at a boutique that shares space with the cafe. "But I'm withholding judgment. There's no precedent for it. We don't know what to expect. But it would great if it brought some customers into our store."

(Writing by Bill Rigby; editing by Mohammad Zargham)

BOY Just can't wait till people start abusing this. Good job government. If a person needs it give them a dam pass. Don't legalize it so every nut job in the country will get fake Prescriptions for Marijuana..... :rolleyes:

And what I am saying is..

Don't LEGALIZE it. Give the person who genuinely needs it a drivers licenses type card and if they don't have it with them you lock them up until you can confirm it.....

Because it is going to turn out like alcohol people are going to abuse the privilege by getting fake whatever (prescriptions and anything else) just so they can get pot without being in trouble.

Its going to lead to bad things. Its not a great thing to bring up weed in front of the upcoming generation and anytime. Its illegal, its illegal as simple as that.

If you're going to legalize I would put a huge A** tax on it. Its a drug though. That's all that's needed. It is a much bigger problem to society with millions smoking pot.....

Meanwhile, somewhere in Portland, Oregon...

"Phew.... you want to put that Pink Floyd album on again?"

"Yeah... I've been thinking......the singularity in Black Holes..."

"Uh?"

"It's like infinity right?"

"Well.. as Shakespeare wrote, "There's more in heaven and earth than dream't of in your philosophy.."

......"****. Does this mean we can turn the TV off and start reading again?"

Don't knock it. The collective IQ might rise. :D

To be honest, there's a particularly large amount of the population that already smokes weed. Legalizing it won't mean that the whole country is going to go "up in smoke" (sorry for the Cheech- n-Chong pun!) overnight.

The same fears were expressed when the U.S. lifted prohibition (which also had folks drinking illegally regardless of the laws in place) and it was said that everyone was going to be drowning in a stream of libations if the laws were lifted...didn't happen. One of the things that lifting the prohibition laws did, was to reduce organized crime's inroads into the illegal alcohol trade. Legalizing marijuana should have the same effect against the Mexican cartels and thier activities, especially here in California, which is a very real and very dangerous concern.

California has had legalized marijuana for a while now and people aren't staggering all over the streets in a stupor or attacking stores for thier funyuns and Dr. Pepper. There is strict regulations governing the ownership and dispensation of the pot, the marijuana co-ops as well as the Doctors that are prescribing it. The State lawmakers are also reviewing the laws to create a better regulatory document in relation to marijuana. The state is considering a tax that's much like the Federal government's handling of tobacco, where it's regulated at every stage, from the plant itself, to the manufacturer, and finally at the consumer level.

As far as a drug, I agree...it is, but then so is alcohol, nicotine, energy drinks and anything else that is used to alter the mind.

Last edited:
It's been legal in Amsterdam for more years than I can recall. And we know those Dutch are murderous, vicious psycho hose-beasts....set upon World dominination..

...through prog-rock albums. :D

The worst that could happen is sales of Hawkwind albums and late night pizza orders might increase in Oregon. :D

And my point is... it's still a drug.
Yep and so is caffiene and nicotine etc etc etc . Yes its a drug but a lot less costly to society then alcohol(drug) . Its not something i want people operating machinery to use but the same applies to alcohol . Its best if one could go through life without using any drug but IMO its the lesser of many evils

....I'd rather have stoners drivin around than alcoholics....
Agreed...but I rarely see people driving while stoned...

It's more along the lines of:
"dude...can you drive me to the store?"
"I guess, why?"
"'cause....we need..."
"Yes? You need what?"
"...uh..."
"Food maybe?"
"yeah! (laughing) that's it!"
"Ok, let's go"
"Oh...hey, can we stop at Taco Bell on the way?"
"God, this is going to take us a while, isn't it?"

I can imagine an old asian woman driving a car, high on pot .... LOL!

LOL, now thats funny.

Robin Williams Quote:

Do you think God gets stoned? I think so . . . look at the platypus

First of all, if you come home to your house and you have no furniture and cats going, 'I'm out of here, prick!', warning. Number two: If you have this dream where you're doing cocaine in your sleep and you can't fall asleep and your doing cocaine in your sleep and you can't fall asleep, and you wake up and you're doing cocaine, BINGO! Number three: if on your tax form it says, '$50 thousand for snacks,' MAY-DAY!

Last edited:
Agreed Neil....

I'd rather have stoners drivin around than alcoholics....

I'd rather have neither but it won't happen. But that isn't the point as to who we'd want driving down the road.

Whatever you guys have your feelings about pot... I have mine (. When people are smoking pot and die from things such as lung cancer etc. etc. I'll be thinking, you stupid a**holes threw your life away for something that madeyou morbid and miserable. :mad:

I especially hate the piety and self righteousness pot smokers have... pisses me off.

I'd rather have neither but it won't happen. But that isn't the point as to who we'd want driving down the road.

Whatever you guys have your feelings about pot... I have mine (. When people are smoking pot and die from things such as lung cancer etc. etc. I'll be thinking, you stupid a**holes threw your life away for something that madeyou morbid and miserable. :mad:

So, we should be thinking the same about alcoholics who die from kidney failure or even Alcoholics who die from alcohol poisioning. Even smokers who die from lung diesease/cancer. We might as well bring everyone to the table if we are going to talk about stupid A**holes who threw their life away.

Yes we should!!! Because they don't know how to control the usage.

My dads a police officer. He drinks but its being responsible because he doesn't drink so many bottles that he needs to get his stomach pumped. So if they can't do it responsibly YES!!! YES!!! The did throw there lives away.

I am saying POT should be illegal and the people who will RESPECT it and need it for whatever fake medicine healing properties it has should use it. NOT legalize it.

Actually, the THC does relieve pain, and is one of the few ways doctors can get a chemotherapy patient to restore thier appetite. There are a number of other practical applications as well.

It's good to see a person who is against drugs...wish there were more that felt like you do, however, the real problem lies in controlled substances that are devestating to the human body and society, such as methamphetamines, narcotics and others.

I've personally known people who've smoked pot for decades and don't have any physical issues, but I have seen good people get into drugs like crack, and destroy not only themselves mentally and physically, but also devestated thier families as they went down...

Thanks GG. I'm against ILLEGAL Substances which Marijuana should still belong to though.

Neil I don't get why you are comparing Caffeine and Marijuana......

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back