first post

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

neverwalkalone

Recruit
Oct 1, 2009
and its probably a post with the eternal question for modellers,

who produces the best kits? (sorry if this has been asked a million times before but as i said this is my first post, i havent looked around much yet)

ive been building model aircraft kits since i was a kid, on and off for years at at a time, when i get the feeling and my wallet allows me. havent built one for a few years now and never bothered with adding details and doing my own thing with it, making it look better than the basic model the instructions tell you to build. just built what was there.

i recently went to an airshow for the first time (amazing expereince, and i know its not the subject of this website, but the eurofighter blew me away) and its got me into aircraft again, my thing is mostly WW2 aircraft, spitfire, hurricane, Lancaster Bomber etc, being British (english) thats the thing i want to concentrate on mostly, i might throw in a few allies aircraft and maybe one or two flown by the enemy.

but i want to do it properly this time and make them look as good as they can look, and wondered if it matters which 'brand' i buy? ive always bought Airfix kits as they seem to be the easiest to find,I think i have a case of 'stick with what you are used to' but wonder if thats a bad thing. but something tells me they arent the best?, i could be wrong, but if not then which is?

also, last time i built a model i remember buying a few accessories to aid the building, other than paints and brushes and glue, having read a short book on the subject. but thats all gone from my memory now, so what should i buy?

also also, is there a website anywhere that takes you through the model building process or any good books?

help would be appreciated :)

one more thing i just thought of, are there any model manufacturers out there that use materials more closely matched with the real aircraft and not just plastic?

I have always enjoyed Tamiya, Hasagawa, and Trumpeter kits the best. Italeri kits are also pretty good, but I don't have quite the experience that some of the people here have.

Welcome to the forum.

i have no experience beyond the basics 'built from the box' stuff, i know i said ive been building models since i was a kid but im a beginner compared to the stuff ive seen around here already lol

i think what im looking for is as much detail in kits from the box as possible without having to get the scalpel out, cos i shake a lot, im not sure a kit would survive me messing with it too much, and im not sure how detailed airfix's are compared to others

and thanks for the welcome

Eduard, Tamiya, Hasegawa etc allhave a good reputation. Some prefer more basic kits and enjoy detailing them (see the Sturmjager thread in the modelling section), it's whatever floats your boat really.

First, welcome to the forum, from 'somewhere in England'!
There's no straight answer to 'what are the best' kits, as there are so many variables. For example, scale, price, the type being built etc. It might be that one manufacturers 1/48th scale Spitfire MkV is excellent, easy to build and costs £20, whilst another is almost as good, and costs £12. In between, there might be a really good kit, at around £15, but perhaps not available in the local shop, and a bit more tricky to build, but giving a superb result.
Most of the major manufacturers already mentioned provide a wide range of very good kits, from the simple, where extra detail can be added, to the fully detailed, with prices varying. Beware though, some of the 'simple' kits can be more expensive than the detailed ones.
I think it's probably best to decide what type you wish to build, and the scale, then ask here on the forum for opinions.
When you get the kit, and want to build it, don't be afraid to start a thread, where help and advice will be cheerfully and freely given.
Terry.

thanks for the replies :)

to be honest i completely forgot i made this,

its probably because im 35 next month, old age is catching up with me, going senile already.

That's true Dear Friend. However the only thing that can stay longer in our minds at our age is vodka. :lol:

Oh yes. But at 47 it's mostly thinking about women... :lol:

:shock: Cut it out! you'll give me nightmares.....

I think Terry has summed it up pretty well!

...but if you want a quick simple answer...Tamiya and Hasegawa for me, they have been around a long time and make some great stuff.

I think Terry has summed it up pretty well!

...but if you want a quick simple answer...Tamiya and Hasegawa for me, they have been around a long time and make some great stuff.

Agree with Terry and Wayne. By the way, welcome mate.

Senile at 35? Sh*t, no hope for me then, I'm almost 58 !!!

I've forgotten how old, old is.........!!!

Oh yes. But at 47 it's mostly thinking about women... :lol:

Beyond 47 it's trying to remember them........!!

:D:D:D:D

Thinking!!!??? Where do you live? :) My Motto: I may not be able to cut the mustard but I can still lick the lid!

Back to the question at hand - I like badly done models as they present a challenge to actually do it up right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back