Flak 36 AAA gun in action

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Westfield Charlie

Airman 1st Class
Sep 20, 2012
Westfield, NY
The Germans had rings of anti-aircraft surrounding their cities and more Allied aircraft were shot down by flak than by fighters. So, while this is not really an aircraft, I think it might be interesting to the folks on the board. l got started in the winter, left for awhile, then completed yesterday. I wanted to do an anti-aircraft fire pit. My modeling skills are passable, but my diorama skills are better, so please forgive the former and enjoy the latter. The model itself (Tamiya 1/35 scale) is about a zillion years old and was discovered half built a few years ago in a box in the basement. I decided to make a multi-level diorama out of it. I bought a black wooden picture frame with high sides, then built the interior of the frame up with Styrofoam. (What a mess that was). Covered the Styrofoam with clear plastic sheeting, then added a wooden floor and wooden walls. Now, it was time for landscaping. Managed that with model railroad groundcover/turf/ even some grass. The searchlights are also model railroad equipment. Finally, the gun crew and paraphernalia. Modified three of the six crew members to change them from anti-tank mode to AAA mode. Painted, painted, painted, and painted some more. Et voila! Finished. Hope you like it.

Attachments

• AA Flak 36 Fire Pit Gun in action A.jpg
    AA Flak 36 Fire Pit Gun in action A.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 223
  • AA Flak 36 Fire Pit Gun in action 3 A.jpg
    AA Flak 36 Fire Pit Gun in action 3 A.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 228
  • AA Flak 36 Fire Pit Gun in action 5 A.jpg
    AA Flak 36 Fire Pit Gun in action 5 A.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 216
  • AA Flak 36 Fire Pit sheet styrene covered A.jpg
    AA Flak 36 Fire Pit sheet styrene covered A.jpg