Focke Wulf FW 190 A-5 coded D5 + XV from 10 / NJG-3 "Nachtjagdkommando 190" (Eduard Profipack 1/48)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello everybody;

for my first editing step by step on this forum, I present to you one of the edits started a few weeks ago (I still have 3 or 4 in progress at the same time)

This therefore concerns a project once again starting from a photo and a color profile found on the canvas of an FW 190 A-5 coded D5 + XV from 10 / NJG-3 "Nachtjagdkommando 190"

focke-15.jpg

focke-16.jpg

Source: Nachtjagdgruppe Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-Fs

A little history:

In 1943 it became evident to the command of the Luftwaffe that the twin-engine night fighters, available to it to counter Bomber Command bombers raids on Reich territory, were no match for the DH-98 Mosquitos sent in. marauding in front of them.

Having to find a solution to this problem, it was decided to create a unit to test the use of the FW 190 fighters following the proposal of the Staffelkapitan of 10 / NJG-3 the Oblt. Hans-Hermann Mueller in his unit.

According to the Luftwaffe Colors - Nachtjäger Volume 2 "Night Fighter Units 1943-1945" p 125; a lot of 2 FW 190 A-4 (receiving the code D5 + YV and D5 + ZV) was therefore allocated from 10 / JG-11 in November 1943 and 1 FW 190 A-5 (receiving the code D5 + XV ) from 2 Jagddivision in December 1943 to 10 / NJG-3.

These will form the backbone of the "Nachtjagdkommando 190" which is based in Aalborg-West in Denmark and will therefore be responsible for experimenting with the use of the FW 190 at Night to hunt Mosquitos.

These FW 190s did not receive any modifications specific to this new use except at the level of their camouflage of which the upper clear parts were covered with RLM 74 and saw affixed the badge of the night hunting "Englandblitz"

During this experiment, the FW 190s were unsuccessful, the A-4 returned to JG-11 in February 1944 and the A-5 was returned to 2 Jagddivision in March 1944 where it was reassigned to JG-1.

My editing project:

Having missed the Eduard box in limited edition "Dual Combo" ref 1144 "FW 190A Nachtjäger - Lufwaffe Nightfighter Legend" which offered this decoration.

114410.jpg

numzor10.jpg

I will use the Eduard Profipack box reference 8174 to make this machine

8174_z10.jpg

There is also the OWL Decals board (reference OWLDS-4813 dating from 2012) for this decoration:

01_owl10.jpg

02_owl10.jpg

But since I can't get my hands on it at a decent price, I'm going to dig into my junk box and code it using stencils.

Cordially;
mathieu"Soclakit86"

The Eduard Profipack model :

The Eduard Profipack reference 8174 model was produced in 2006.

8174_011.jpg

They are made up of 227 rooms spread over:

_ 7 plastic clusters (including one transparent)
_ 1 sheet of Kabuki-type mask paper
_ 1 pre painted photo etched sheet
_ 2 decals boards (including one of stencils)

8174_012.jpg

8174_013.jpg

8174_014.jpg

8174_016.jpg

8174_017.jpg

8174_015.jpg

8174_018.jpg

8174_019.jpg

8174_020.jpg

8174_110.jpg

The decals board offers us 4 decorations for machines having served on the western or eastern front:

_ Hptm. Walter NOWOTNY, commander of I./JG54 Grünherz, Orel, autumn 1943

8174-a10.jpg

_ Hptm. Egon MAYER, Commander of III./JG2 Richthofen, France, spring 1943

8174-b10.jpg

_ Uffz. Walter KÖHNE, 1./JG1, Deelen, The Netherlands, July 1943

8174-c10.jpg

_ Oblt Rolf STROHAL, Stab I./JG1, Deelen, The Netherlands, April 1943

8174-d10.jpg

This also allows us to represent open the armament bays of the root of the wings and fuselage as well as the engine cowls and includes a fine hollow riveting of the entire airframe. The control surfaces (except for elevator and flaps) are separate.

The FW 190 kit, which has often been criticized for not being the easiest to assemble because of these options, has since been taken over and simplified by Eduard.

Cordially;
mathieu "Soclakit86"

Hi everyone;

I am weak and started to scratch a little on the FW 190A-5, resuming the engraving of the lower surface because it is so thin that I am afraid that the juices will not stick after the paint is applied.

The rivets are taken up one by one with a dry point.

m0146.jpg

m0246.jpg

A stroke of smoke black felt and then applied to check the result obtained.

This model must be finished to be presented at the Saumur exhibition next year (if there is one)

After 6.30 hours of work, the lower surface is riveted.

m0540.jpg

m0641.jpg

m0739.jpg

m0838.jpg

m0938.jpg

Tracing in pencil 3B, a light passage from roulette to rivet, then resumption of each rivets with a dry point. A stroke of black felt, 2400 grit sanding, then cleaning with white spirit of the dust in the engravings.

The riveting of this FW 190A-5 is well advanced, there is only one half fuselage and the starboard upper surface to be riveted.

m1037.jpg

I also glued the upper surface and the port gun then as well as the elevator on their half fuselage

m1134.jpg

m1236.jpg

m1335.jpg

That's it, the riveting is finally finished and for once I'm pretty happy with the result

I started assembling the train then (which are the most beautiful that I have seen in injected plastic on a 1/48 FW 190) and put the armament bays at the root of the wings.

To have a good joint of the karman fitting, it is necessary to reduce the width of the bottom of the gun bay.

m1438.jpg

m1535.jpg

m1637.jpg

m1738.jpg

m1836.jpg

m1937.jpg

m2036.jpg

m2134.jpg

m2232.jpg

m2330.jpg

The FW 190A-5 is progressing well without any unpleasant surprises.

The painting of the trains and gun bays then began after substantial masking to protect the riveted parts (primer RLM02 AK-2002, washoklir Noir then dry brushing AMT-1 Vallejo 71.320 to give contrast)

m2430.jpg

m2530.jpg

m2625.jpg

m2727.jpg

m2827.jpg

m2926.jpg

m3029.jpg

m3127.jpg

The engine cover is assembled starting from the front ring which makes it possible to adjust the assembly as well as possible and thus avoid laborious mastic sanding afterwards.

It will only remain for me to do the riveting as on the rest of the plane.

m3226.jpg

m3325.jpg

m3424.jpg

Here is where I am to this day on this assembly.

Cordially;
mathieu "Soclakit86"

Hello Furbar57;

Good Lord....that is real commitment to riveting.

There are sometimes subjects like that which without warning give you additional motivation to surpass yourself.

At the start, I just wanted to use the existing rivet lines, but I realized that there was a lot missing (which is not the case on the new mold of the FW 190A) and that I was no longer around ten rivet lines near ...

This is the first time that I have completely taken an engraving like this with such a good result, I hope not to ruin everything during the painting / patina of the model.

We will see what will happen.

Cordially;
mathieu "Soclakit86"

True dedication there. I tried riveting a Fairey Battle with a wheel and messed it up but I should try it again. I will be watching this build with great interest as I also have one of these older Eduard kits in my stash. Come to think of it, it could be a candidate also for the next Group Build if I pick the right scheme.

Hello;

True dedication there. I tried riveting a Fairey Battle with a wheel and messed it up but I should try it again. I will be watching this build with great interest as I also have one of these older Eduard kits in my stash. Come to think of it, it could be a candidate also for the next Group Build if I pick the right scheme.

Thank you for your comment .

Don't worry, I made a few attempts at re-engraving myself before arriving at this result (Fairey Fulmar, J7W1 Shinden, Ar 196A ...)

I find that the soft plastic of the FW 190 Eduard lends itself well to this exercise, the trick is also not to press on the wheel so as to just mark the locations, then repeat everything one by one with a needle.

It's really long to do, but the result is worth it

Cordially;

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back