Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 Braunen 4, W.nr.500647 - Me/ Fw Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I hink it is curved because of the fuselage curvature. Also I'm not sure if these images on the site accessed with the link , show the same plane. I found the pic below some time ago. The source unknown..... However the caption of the picture is Brown4. I'm not sure if it was the Fw190D-9 Brown4 of JG26, but.....

Attachments

• Brown4_BW.jpg
    Brown4_BW.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 791
it's definitely Brown 4 Wojtek, you can see the '4' on the undercarriage leg, and I will respectfully disagree on the fuselage curvature, yes there is some ever so slight, but the stroke of the number is clearly curved.

The curvature issue is not on the above pic Jan, look closely the 4 is there on the undercarriage cover.

Attachments

• Brown4_BW.jpg
    Brown4_BW.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 305
It's in the link to the Japo site Terry. Looks like the pic was taken from the top of the revetment in the background of the photo above.

Attachments

• new200910_06.jpg
    new200910_06.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 368
but the stroke of the number is clearly curved.

You might be right Wayne. However I think it is a kind of an optical illusion. It might be caused because the stroke is running slantwise to the fuselage curvature. Also , if you look longer at the pic below you might find that the stroke strip is slightly narrow at its half way comparing to the rest of the letter. Another thing is hat colours can affect thickness in an optical way too of course. Most of women knows that the black makes them looking slim and white makes them fatter optically .

Attachments

• Fw190D-9 Brown4 7JG26_pic.jpg
    Fw190D-9 Brown4 7JG26_pic.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Guys, thanks a million for all the help so far!

Going to be some close scrutiny of all available images and info soon, closest match to photos will take the prize. Please continue with your opinions on this.

Re the fueslage '4', I suspect both Wojtek and Wayne are right: seems to me to be a very slight curve to it as Wayne said, but appears more pronounced than possibly is due to the slant of the upper stroke on the curved fueslage side, as Wojtek said.
I'll try to track pics of other aircraft from this unit to compare styles of numbering.
The upper stroke is certainly longer than appears in the profiles in any case, and not just due to foreshortening.
Research, research, research...

It will be quite a find if you have that photo, as the only known photos have been shown the this thread and it was quite a coup when the starboard side photo turned up.

Think this is the same machine from a different angle Even, the slats of a fence on the left are the same. It's captioned as II./JG 26 Northern Germany, 1945.

110505-1A.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back