French Foreign Legion training vs Seals etc.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torch

Senior Master Sergeant
Feb 9, 2006
Florida
Did a search but didn't come up with anything. How does the modern FFL training and performance compare to other elite forces around the world, watched a Military Channel program this morn about them, tough training etc. saw a Marine show right after and they are tough etc etc.

The FFR are good troops certain of them like the 2nd REP are on a par with the US Rangers or Royal Marines but these are not SF.
There is a difference between highly trained units like these which are more highly trained than standard infantry and SF units like SEALs, SAS, SBS.

So they are good but not that good.

Most of these "elite" units are set appart by their traditions and Esprit de Corps. The SF are set apart by their excellence at their jobs.

Navy Seals hands down I think. FFL are tough boys, no doubt about that, but I think that they're a peg or two below the Seals....both in training and in equipment.

While the groups that I served with were fairly good at getting our way out of a jam, we did have one case where I thought it was over. Our call for help was answered by a team of SEALs that kicked ass, very fast, then disappeared as quick as they appeared.

We also came across some FFL deserters. Yes, deserters. I don't think I have ever heard of a SEAL deserting. And, from personal experience, I never had the FFL save my ass.

If the fit hit the shan, I would want the SEALs for assistance above anyone else.

Well...duuuuh, real "bad ass"! Agree with you Dan! As for the SEAL, SAS, SBS etc., I think that they know that they're THAT good, that they don't feel the need to prove it for anyone, like some others. Why would they, they have taken part in plenty of missions, to let their actions speak instead.

What kind of fu*ked up comment is that??? Are u fu*kin stupid in addition to ignorant and illiterate????

here let me revise this

it would be interesting if you got a group of spec ops from each county and compare the training in one of those kill houses

ok back to topic i would go with the seals

Yeah, I'm going with the Seals. FFL are good, but the Seals are just better at their job (was kinda hard for me to choose though, I really do like the legion).
Well, don't know if this is relevant, but my grandpa (my mom's dad) used to be in the navy when he was younger (believe he's in his seventies, so he was probably in the navy in the fifties and sixties). Anyway, his ship, the carrier Tarawa, was docked somewhere in the Mediterranean, and a group of legionnaries where putting on a entertainment show for them. From what he told us, these legionnaires kinda scared him, since they all had stern looking faces, and that they weren't people to joke around with. I want to say that many of those legionnaires were Germans, I think either ex-members of the army or the SS.

Yeah, I'm going with the Seals. FFL are good, but the Seals are just better at their job (was kinda hard for me to choose though, I really do like the legion).
Well, don't know if this is relevant, but my grandpa (my mom's dad) used to be in the navy when he was younger (believe he's in his seventies, so he was probably in the navy in the fifties and sixties). Anyway, his ship, the carrier Tarawa, was docked somewhere in the Mediterranean, and a group of legionnaries where putting on a entertainment show for them. From what he told us, these legionnaires kinda scared him, since they all had stern looking faces, and that they weren't people to joke around with. I want to say that many of those legionnaires were Germans, I think either ex-members of the army or the SS.
The Legion has always been full of the losers (and winners) of the last big war. Their open enlistment status (join from anywhere) makes their numbers surge whenever there is a surplus of combat veterans looking for work. I would bet there are plenty of former South African Defence Forces guys in the Legion (those that didn't get a job offer from EO)

Oh, right, forgot about that part of the legion, whoops. Probably why a lot of the legionnaire songs have a little bit of German in them nowadays. Wait, clay, I'm kinda lost. Why would there be a lot of South African soldiers in the legion, did the South African government downsize their army or something?

Oh, right, forgot about that part of the legion, whoops. Probably why a lot of the legionnaire songs have a little bit of German in them nowadays. Wait, clay, I'm kinda lost. Why would there be a lot of South African soldiers in the legion, did the South African government downsize their army or something?
A bunch of the white guys left or were fired after the 1994 Mandela government took power. Some of them opposed integration of the armed forces, some of them had done some things in support of Apartheid that they didn't want to be prosecuted for later.

ah, thanks for the clarification, clay. don't really know much about South Africa to begin with, but that helped a bit.
After the Bolshevik revolution, there were a ton of White Army guys in the Legion, speaking French with a Russian accent.

Going to take the SEAL's here. The FFL can be good soldiers but if you had to choose one team to have your back it would be the SEAL's.

As for RSA Foch, look at the information around on 32 Battalion a lot of those guys are now in the Private Bodyguard/FFL business these days. There was a lot of integration in the SADF (relatively more so than in real life). As the quote from Blood Diamond goes "There was no Apartheid in a fox hole"...

Back on topic I'd put the FFL on par with large "elite" forces like US or Royal Marines and Army Rangers. They require a high degree of motivation, but they do not provide SEAL/SAS level training.

Is it even appropriate to compare SEAL vs. FFL? To me, this is a bit like comparing a B-25 to a P-51, you can't exactly put one over the other since they're built for completely different purposes. Same for the SEAL/FFL: They're trained for deployments that reflect their missions . I just don't think one can compare the two.

France has SpecOp soldiers, but the FFL doesn't fall into that category. It would be more interesting to compare with one of the various commando groups, such as Commando Hubert, Jaubert, and Trepel units.

I've played paintball with some SAS guys in Portugal and some Israeli SF fellas in Haifa, and we beat the snot out of them in every scenario we worked....

Im damn proud to say that the United States Navy SEALs are the most Elite Operators in the World gents.... Its almost insulting to compare us to FFL....
I entirely agree with you. The SEAL guys are scarier than anybody around that I've had secondhand contact with. (I don't know any SEALs firsthand)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back