French Foreign Legion training vs Seals etc.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
not the truth...
Right, I gathered that, but I didn't want to count you as a friend only to have you tell me to take a running jump into an unknown impact point.

With military people I claim to know them only with their consent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm cool with that Dan! H*ck, I wouldn't even ask for any....d*mn, "stories" is so NOT the right word here, which word am I looking for...:eek:ops....even if we met over for a few pints, would talk about anything but that..
I know that we in Sweden don't have SOF like SEAL etc, more than our Attackdykare, Paras and Mountain Rangers etc. I'm still surprised that the Marines couldn't hack our week long march in the mountains.... But, that's 20 years ago, I'm sure that quality have improved now.... :lol:
One question about the SEAL's though Dan if I may, how many SEAL teams are they, how many is in a team?

Not the truth...

les, I know this is off-topic, but I'm a kind of a gearhead, so I'd be interested in knowing what your preferred primary and secondary firearms were. Were you issued a SOPMOD M4? How did you like it? What was your personal sidearm? I have heard some of the guys used custom-made M1911A1's, like a Kimber or a Baer, while others preferred the H&K Mk23. Any preferences? And, one more question: can you tell us which Team you were on? Or is that "need to know"?

Jan, until 2002 a SEAL team consisted of eight operational SEAL platoons and a headquarters element.... Nowadays a SEAL team has six platoons... A SEAL platoon is normally commanded by a Navy Lieutenant (O-3) and consists of 16 SEAL's and may divide into two squads or four elements.... All SEAL platoon personnel are dive, parachute, and demolitions qualified....

So, the smallest "unit" is a 4-man team, correct?

Not the truth...

I guess that would make it easier to find ammo in the field, too?

Still telling false information...

Hopefully, I never will . . . . . I'm not the hero-type . . . .

And just what the fu*k does that mean???

Jan, until 2002 a SEAL team consisted of eight operational SEAL platoons and a headquarters element.... Nowadays a SEAL team has six platoons... A SEAL platoon is normally commanded by a Navy Lieutenant (O-3) and consists of 16 SEAL's and may divide into two squads or four elements.... All SEAL platoon personnel are dive, parachute, and demolitions qualified....

SEAL teams are allocated to a specific operational region.... Basically there are two kind of teams, West Coast and East Coast Teams.....

The eight teams allow a more stable continuous deployment cycle... One team from each coast will be deployed overseas for six months... This team will be successively relieved by other teams as they complete their 18-month interdeployment training cycles.....

In each cycle, the SEAL's will train as individuals for six months and for another six months as SEAL teams.... Six months before deployment, the teams will be joined by Special Boat detachments, SEAL delivery vehicles, mobile communications teams, tactical crypto logic support personnel, and explosive ordnance disposal personnel.... These teams will be designated as Naval Special Warfare squadrons and train together before deploying as a unit.....

When I was in, there were 6 Teams and one designated for Anti-Terrorist Ops, sometimes called SEAL Team 6... We just referred to them as Red Cell...

West Coast Teams
SEAL Team 1
SEAL Team 3
SEAL Team 5

East Coast Teams
SEAL Team 2
SEAL Team 4
SEAL Team 8

Today there are 8 Teams and The Naval Special Warfare Development Group, (DEVGRU)...

West Coast Teams
SEAL Team 1
SEAL Team 3
SEAL Team 5
SEAL Team 7

East Coast Teams
SEAL Team 2
SEAL Team 4
SEAL Team 8
SEAL Team 10

Stitch, The SOPMOD package was introduced to SF units just when I got out.... Ive played with one but never used one in combat situations.... I was not overly impressed with it....

We basically had our choice of gear, and I stayed with the AK-47 when deployed, as well as a sawed off butt-ended 12 gauge shotgun carried in a special holster over my back/shoulder.... I carried a .45 Colt as a sidearm, nothing special about it...

Sometimes due to Operational Requirements, we would change up our gear... I dont like the M-16/M-4... Never have, never will.... When one jams on u when u got a bunch of baddies out front, u'll understand....
Props for doing what you did, you have more cool points than I'll ever get. :salute:

Thanks Clay, just did the job I was trained for....
The smallest unit is a 4 man element or fire team, and this was not used very much...

There were 4 sides to myself and several other guys in the Detachments that used the AK...

One was the stopping power of the 7.62 round, another was the reliability, third was the fact that it didnt sound "American", and lastly, that ammo was always around if u needed it...

The only "Hero" types I knew in the Teams were the guys who rang the Bell in BUDs... There are no heros in the SEAL Team Community Stitch....
A Marine I knew in college liked to say "Heroes are dead people, don't be a hero."

Thanks for your service, Les.

Is the SPECOPS community growing? Has the recent conflicts showed a need for more trained operators and less hightec gadgets? It seems with the rising cost of keeping individuals in a combat zone and the need to use PMC's to cut cost that the need for higher trained individuals might be needed.
Thanks in advance.

I wonder whatever happened to modesty.

Ya know what Kraut person?? My husband is one of the MOST humble SEALs I have had the privilege of knowing..quite modest about the fact that he is a bad as* Motherf*cker. In my personal opinion he has NO reason to be modest about anything, he was out there with his life on the line for ungrateful f*cks just like you!

I'll use a simple quote to sum up the fact that you just chapped MY as*.."it ain't braggin if you can back it up."

Ya know what Kraut person?? My husband is one of the MOST humble SEALs I have had the privilege of knowing..quite modest about the fact that he is a bad as* Motherf*cker. In my personal opinion he has NO reason to be modest about anything, he was out there with his life on the line for ungrateful f*cks just like you!

I'll use a simple quote to sum up the fact that you just chapped MY as*.."it ain't braggin if you can back it up."

He sure did not have his life on the line for the ungrateful f*ck that is me. Your wars are your wars. I served my time in my country's army. And from that time I also happe to know some Legionnaires. Who were not only good soldiers, but also polite and modest. One of the was in constant deployment for at least a decade, often under worst conditions and without fancy equipment. Lost two fingers and had his arms and chest were covered with 3rd degree burnings. Never told about it, never bragged about anything.

But as usual, you can't critizise the behaviour of someone who is in the armed forces or else you are unpatriotic, ungrateful, disrespecting or whatnot. What a nonsense.

If a Navy SEAL chooses to carry himself with a badass attitude, it's his prerogative because he's a badass. Someone has to be the best and they are, even if there are a lot of guys who are also very very good. JMO.

KrazyKraut, I don´t understand your post. My poor English knowledge might be the reason...
Always, when I wanted to know about Les service, I had to ask...and he answered. Also in past...not in this thread only...
Have you ever seen a thread like 'When I was a Seal' on this forum?

He sure did not have his life on the line for the ungrateful f*ck that is me. Your wars are your wars. I served my time in my country's army. And from that time I also happe to know some Legionnaires. Who were not only good soldiers, but also polite and modest. One of the was in constant deployment for at least a decade, often under worst conditions and without fancy equipment. Lost two fingers and had his arms and chest were covered with 3rd degree burnings. Never told about it, never bragged about anything.

But as usual, you can't critizise the behaviour of someone who is in the armed forces or else you are unpatriotic, ungrateful, disrespecting or whatnot. What a nonsense.

I said LIKE you, not that IS you..our wars..well, Sir you are toting the AMERICAN flag right below your name right on the left hand side<====default or NO..it is AMERICAN.

I feel for your friend. Just like I feel for any person that has given all that he or she has for something they believe in..in this case, our freedoms.
BUT, your friend is NOT my husband, who does NOT like to talk about his service, usually. He commented on this thread to clarify a situation, you decided to take a sour note on the proceedings and claim that he is un-modest, THAT is what I have a problem with. IF he chooses to talk about his experiences and share information with these gentlemen, WHO are you to insist that he be modest?? IF you don't like it, OH F*cking WELL! Theres probably another thread that you can rain upon...Call him out on being an as*hole or whatever..BUT modesty because he made the grade and served with one of the finest fighting forces on this planet??? I don't think so.. Check yourself.

Nonsense??? Not so much..BAD FORM, yes..
JUST as much as it would be for you to walk into ANYONES conversation and state how the parties IN that conversation should conduct themselves. Does this serve as manners or proper modest etiquette in where ever you hail from...?? Probably not..you were baiting the conversation for a rebuttal..plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back