Fw 190 A8 W.Nr 737938 2/JG 301 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
Ok guys i'm starting to build my Eduard 1/48 Fw190 A8 and have the Eagla Strike decal set for Fw 190 A8 W.Nr 737938 2/JG 301 and would like help getting the scheme confirmed or near as possible.

The instruction sheet with the decals say this aircraft painted in 75/82/76 scheme with what seems to be a replacement rudder with 75/81 mottle.

What i'm looking for is an idea of what type of canopy and prop was fitted to this Fw190.
The instruction sheet also shows the lower parts of the undercart covers either to be grey or NMF ?

Any and all help would would be appreciated :D

thanks

Karl

Attachments

• ESP48028.jpg
    ESP48028.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
ok just found these in Squadron/Signal walk around No 22 Fw 190 A/F.
which answers my question on the canopy :lol:, but is that prop a standered one or the wide blade type ?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 693
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 773
Last edited:
Prop is a standard version, not wide type. Pretty sure it's not Black 9 either...look at the red fuselage band and the Black cross...which is closer in tonal value....not Black!

More later, although I expect Erich to drop in real soon!

Last edited:
To be honest, not necessarily right....It is more likely the aircraft is 4/JG301 carrying a blue and White bordered number, need to do a bit more research on the W.Nr. series to determine camo colours, the contrast in wing colours seems to be more likely 83/75 than 74/75 but pic is not perfect for determining the tonal values to make what is in fact a best guess at the real colours...

bloody hell !!!!
if you dig anything up please let me know mate.
will continue to build the kit but will wait to see if Erich or anyone else has anything to say on it before i start painting !

Wayne is correct Roachie. it is Blue 9 from the 4./JG 301. indeed odd too as I have pics of A-9's of the 4th staffel with just blue numerals only and no outline. let me check further though in the data base, my text for my book is very much separate from the save photos b/w and colour of the Geschwader. some even have though it being a Stab machine.

E ~ good project it is. of course you could continue with the camo scheme and just put a different solid colored numeral on the crate too.

Thanks Erich.
would really like to do a JG 301 machine so i will see what coloured numbers i have and go from there so any suggestions would be welcome.

ok so the numerals i have are:
black 3,4,5,6,9
black 8 with red outline
yellow 11, 14 with black outline
red 7 with white outline
blue 6
white12 with black outline
double black chevrons with white outline

have bars for yellow, black and blue
and winkle in black

anything interesting come to mind for JG 301 ?

Last edited:
Roachie are you wanting to do an A-8 or A-9 ?

Wayne has done my cousins white 2 A-9 and think he is working on 5th staffel C.O. machine right now.

let me look again on the colours as I always screw them up in my head. most of the time a black number would indicate a Stab machine within I. and II. gruppe. III. gruppe/JG 301 black numerals would indicate an A-8 or A-8/R2 of 12./JG 301

Roachie are you wanting to do an A-8 or A-9 ?

Wayne has done my cousins white 2 A-9 and think he is working on 5th staffel C.O. machine right now.

let me look again on the colours as I always screw them up in my head. most of the time a black number would indicate a Stab machine within I. and II. gruppe. III. gruppe/JG 301 black numerals would indicate an A-8 or A-8/R2 of 12./JG 301

its an A-8/R2 kit Erich, was there much external difference from an A-9 ?
the kit comes with a normal and blown hoods plus normal and wide bladed prop

the engine venting is different and more cyclinders, ask Wayne on specs. why not keep it an un-armored A-8/R2 and do one of the III schwere gruppe/JG 301 birds ?

9th = white numbers
10th = red
11th = yellow
12th = black

they all had a mix of plain A-8's and R2's, but the Sturm like heavies did not have the extra armor plus the cowling mg 131's were left in place.

E ~

the engine venting is different and more cyclinders, ask Wayne on specs. why not keep it an un-armored A-8/R2 and do one of the III schwere gruppe/JG 301 birds ?

9th = white numbers
10th = red
11th = yellow
12th = black

they all had a mix of plain A-8's and R2's, but the Sturm like heavies did not have the extra armor plus the cowling mg 131's were left in place.

E ~

great stuff Erich III schwere gruppe/JG 301 it is.

so next questions.
solid numbers, no outline, rounded or squared off numbers ?
cammo, 74/75/76 or different combo of RLM's

both outlined for 9th staffel and not. black with thin black edge and then just plain white.

12staffel was solid black only.

am going off the top of my ehad right now but think squared as well as rounded numerals as I have seen two different 2 types on different A/C.

ok here's the numeral decals i have, hopefully they may be of use for a JG 301 machine :D

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 226
Hey Karl, there are a couple of JG301 aircraft I can help you with, it just depends on which you want to do....as well as possible subjects Erich might wish to see....:D

Can do Red 22, A-9 of 6/JG301
White 2 of 1/JG301 A-8?
Black Chevron <4 A-8

have other numbers etc. depending on which III/JG301 Erich might suggest based on what he has at his disposal?

One book I have shows another A-8 or A-9 Rounded style 9 without a border captioned as Blue 9?

Can do the original white bordered square style Blue 9 too if you want... decisions, decisions...:D

Guys was it my cousins thread that Dan started or Waynes build that had a few pics of JG 301 crates on it --- photos ? that should help or confuse you Karl real good :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back