Galland's Bf 109E-4 1/32 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hang on Gerry....the colour sequence shown on the Right hand Cyberhobby/Dragon decal (79) is correct for an earlier time frame BUT victory No 41 should be RED also.
The Left hand decal should be exactly the same as the Right hand decal so the RED victories are in the wrong positions.
However the victory markings are not in their correct spacing or proportions on this sheet to be truely accurate to the original.
NOTE: the colour sequence I have just described with 22 RED bars is correct for 5819 WHEN the victory markings were on the RLM 65 Blue background and can be definitely confirmed from 51 to 57. When the rudder was repainted completely yellow the victory bars were higher and closer together and the first 30 were then RED. plus 36,37 and 41.

Hello again Gerry, Wayne

EDIT: I see you did reply in the same time I did Wayne, so you actually confirmed, what I've described below. Thanks for it!
But on the other hand you made me a bit sad with the spacing and proportions info :(

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I see authentical model building is sometimes more about research, than modeling it self, but I like it more this way, than just building something that looks good.
Well... as I will stick to the version with 50 victories (dated 30.10.1940), which means before the repainting, engine upgrade and spinner closing according to your research I guess only the 41st victory (1st from left in the 5th row) needs to be changed to a red one on the decal 79 and than I need to rework the 78 to look like the same as 79 after rework as the bars are red from left to right on both sides of the rudder and this one will be a bit more tricky.
Can you please confirm I got it right now?

EDIT 2: Picture added

371228-untitled-th.jpeg

Btw I started my build yesterday and I'am working on the engine now. Will post a thread later today.

Cheers,
Miko

Last edited:
Sorry for the misinformation Mik0 Wayne. I was purely focused on the November '40 56/57 victories period, with all yellow rudder, so thanks for clarifying that, Wayne.

Look forward to seeing your first posts, Mik0.

Sorry for the misinformation Mik0 Wayne. I was purely focused on the November '40 56/57 victories period, with all yellow rudder, so thanks for clarifying that, Wayne.

Look forward to seeing your first posts, Mik0.

no worries Gerry, just wanted to clarify the two different colour combo's as it is easy to assume one is correct for all periods, for instance when Galland achieved his 40th the first 30 were red, 31-40 were black, so sometime later after this and a rudder repaint the first 22 were red rather than 30, can't explain this other than a simple error on the painter's part. Then when repainted again in dec 1940 the colour sequence of the first 30 returned to Red on the yellow rudder as you have done.

Well, this is a final and very belated update to this thread. Those of you with long memories will recall I got the colour sequence for the victory bars wrong for Galland's Bf 109E-4 on my initial attempt and Wayne Little kindly supplied a diagram of the correct sequence (post 311) I always meant to fix this and I finally got around to it after I finished my entry to the Me / FW Group Build. So, just for the record here are shots of the corrected rudder.

Cheers, Gerry

Attachments

• Full rudder port.jpg
    Full rudder port.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 214
  • U Rudder port.jpg
    U Rudder port.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 222
  • Board.jpg
    Board.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 193
  • Board.jpg
    Board.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 215
Going to try another one....maybe? :)

I still have the old Airfix 1/24 Bf 109E-3/4 in my stash - for about 20 years now, but there are a couple of Allied crates as well I've been meaning to get to some day, including the 1/24 Airfix Spitfire Mk1a, same vintage, and the new Mossie, so might have to have a go at them first. We'll see.

Cheers, Gerry

There would be at least 2 entries!

Actually mine's been partly built and would need a severe overhaul. Some day....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back