Galland's Bf 109E-4 1/32 scale (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks to Wayne, Crimea River, Maria, Aaron, Conkerking and Lucky13who have replied since my last post. Your comments are all very inspiring. I'm, at present, painting the cockpit and when I'm happy with it or finish it to the best of my ability I will post pictures.

Wayne I tried a mix of RLM 02 to your formula and with a slight tweak (grey rather than white) it seems very close to my printed references, so thanks for that. Will try to post a 'control' photo of a swatch against a reference next time.

Here's my progress to date since my last post. All of the time has been spent in the cockpit. Firstly, I mixed up a new batch of RLM 02 as per Wayne's instructions but substituting XF 19 Sky Grey for the White, which I thought might be a bit harsh. Picture 1. is a control shot of the new mix against a reference. This was shot in natural daylight on a sunny day and, on my monitor looks pretty accurate to what I see in reality.

Picture 2. are the pieces from the engine bay which have been repainted in the new mix. These have been shot with flash, as the skies here have been pretty overcast for the last couple of days, so the colours on the monitor may be a bit different. I just noticed that I haven't painted the closing strap on the ammo boxes, so that will need to be done.

Before I could detail paint the cockpit a lot of PE pieces needed to be added and boy, did that **!!ing swear box come in handy! Picture 3. is of the 'Ones That Got Away'. These were 3 tap-like handles for the inertia starter handle etc. I couldn't see these, let alone manipulate them with a tweezers or craft knife! Anyhow they all escaped into the carpet, where they are still lurking to this day! Having said that, I did manage to successfully attach all of the other PE pieces but not without lots of profanities.

Pictures 4 5. are the completed port and starboard walls. These were given a spray of RLM 02, then a slightly darker mix was sprayed around the raised detail, to give some shadow definition. Then I picked out the wires and levers in various colours. I started using acrylics, but found them very granular for fine detail work even when diluted. In the end I found well diluted Revell enamels worked better. On the port wall I had to add the three handles and pipes. the pipes are 15 amp fuse wire. The handles took a lot of attempts to get to where they are (these are the ones devoured by the carpet). I first tried plastic bits from other kits, but they looked way over scale, so got rid of those. Then I tried covered twin-core speaker wire - same problem. Finally, after much effing and blinding, staples, chopped and superglued to a T-shape, are what I ended up with.

The starboard wall is pretty much the Aires kit, with the PE bits added, including the oxygen bottle cover, and detail painted. Everything then got a thin wash of well diluted burnt umber and Lamp Black oil paints to bring out the detail. The blown-up pictures are a good idea, as I can see lots of areas that need touching-up, which I can't see in scale size. Having said that, when they're reduced to actual scale size, Pictures 6 7 they don't seem nearly as bad.

I'll finish this update in a second post.

Attachments

• RLM 02.jpg
    RLM 02.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Engine pieces.jpg
    Engine pieces.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 169
  • PE Sheet.jpg
    PE Sheet.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Cockpit wall, Port.jpg
    Cockpit wall, Port.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Cockpit wall, Starboard.jpg
    Cockpit wall, Starboard.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 168
  • Cockpit wall, Starboard To size.jpg
    Cockpit wall, Starboard To size.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 226
  • Cockpit wall, Port To size.jpg
    Cockpit wall, Port To size.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 164
Man oh man that's looking good Gerry!

I've worked with those PE T-pulls as well - in 1/48!!! - and they are a royal pain in the a$$ so I feel your pain. As a tip, I usually spread a white fabric on my lap when I'm working with small parts - lessens the chance of feeding the carpet monster.

OK, part 2 of this post. Picture 1. The cockpit floor and pilot's seat. This is pretty much all the Aries kit. The hand wheels and the small lever to the starboard side, are from the Matchbox kit. The blue oxygen pipes are 15 amp fuse wire, I added, as are the rudder hydraulic pipes. everything painted as the cockpit walls. The seat is still loose at this stage. I'm still experimenting with an optional seat-back cushion. I forgot to mention that the metal 'wear' is both Aluminium and Boltgun Metal drybrushing. This was applied, more sparingly, to the cockpit walls also.

Picture 2. the elements, ready for assembly, closer to scale size.

Pictures 3 4. A loose fit showing how it's likely to come together. Sorry for the soft focus on pic 4. Now that all the parts are assembled, I think I'm going to have some trimming to do to get the fuselage to meet properly. the port sidewall is a problem, both where the hand wheels are meeting the raised detail and where the instrument panel meets the three pipes. I think I can lose the pipes, as most of them are hidden behind the instruments. The hand wheels are a bit trickier. I suspect the Eduard wheels are smaller than these but I think I may be able to move them slightly. It's a pity so much will be unseen when the cockpit is buttoned up, even with the canopy open.

My next tasks are the seat belts and to get the instrument panel finished so I can put the fuselage together and get started on the exterior.

Finally, a couple of questions. Would anyone have any information on the engine serial No for W/N 5819 at this period? And any idea how the telescope, which I'll have to scratch build, was supported inside the canopy?

Attachments

• Pilot's seat front.jpg
    Pilot's seat front.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Full cockpit components.jpg
    Full cockpit components.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 163
  • Cockpit construction, Starboard.jpg
    Cockpit construction, Starboard.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Cockpit construction, Port.jpg
    Cockpit construction, Port.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 164
Thanks, Crimea River and thanks for the tip. I think at this stage of my life the only solution for me is only to work in 1/12 scale or bigger!

Looking very nice indeed Gerry ! I ended up using stretched sprue for the 'T' handles and the push-rods, and yes, they were eventually cut short, and can't be seen beyond the instrument panel.
Haven't found anything on the telescope mount, apart from what appears to be a simple ring-mounting bracket, and no info on the engine number.

Thanks, Javlin, Wayne Terry. Got quote upset when I couldn't access the forum earlier. I realise now that it was down for essential maintenance. Do you think I'm becoming addicted? And Terry, I reckon if you don't have that information, nobody does.

I may have to take some lessons from you, Woody. Just checked out your start to exterior painting on your 109G-14 - Sweet!

Going a little slow at the moment, Woody. I find that when I make adjustments they can have some unforeseen effects. for instance, just moving the handwheels didn't solve the problem, they were still interfering with the cockpit fit. I had to disassemble them completely, sand them thinner, decrease the gap between them, reassemble and repaint. Had to do this twice until I got the tolerances right and re-attatch them to the port wall rather than to the seat frame, as per the instructions. I seem to be taking one step forward and two step back at the moment. I've also found that I had a problem with the Machine gun platform, which needs to be shortened to get the non-kit instrument panel to fit and in doing this I also found that the rake of the guns changed so they no longer fit through the cowling. In removing the gun assembly, I managed to snap one of the barrels off but should be able to repair that later. I should say that I'm trying to build with both the engine and saddle cowlings capable of being on or off to reveal the engine and guns, so everything needs to be precisely assembled to allow this to happen.

But in tandem with the re-jigs, The cockpit well is now attached to the starboard wall, I've got the instrument panel pretty much together and have made a start on assembling the seatbelts - very fiddly and slow work for me and haven't made any significant progress on the seatback cushion. I'm not happy with the standard yet to post photos - some of the bodges need retouching - but hopefully I'll have something to show over the weekend.

Gerry sorry to hear about the set backs but from the work you have done so far you will have it whipped into shape. I havent worked with a resin cockpit yet so iam kinda nervous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back