Galland's Bf 109E-4 1/32 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sounds like you're doing an awesome job Gerry. Don't be afraid to post your problem areas - we all like to chuckle, I mean, help!

Well, I wasn't going to bother you guys with the below-stairs plumbing - but as you asked so nicely... Picture 1. The port wall. the three push rods removed and the slimmed down handwheels in position, with a coat of gloss varnish on the 'wooden' rim. The chains will be straightened before the cockpit is closed.

Picture 2. The cockpit cemented to the starboard wall. A) Is damage to the paintwork where I removed the guns and gun platform. I sanded off the positioning lug on top of the ammo cases to allow me to position the guns better. These surfaces are effectively covered with the platform and guns but will be repainted later. B) Is a new sill from plastic strip to hide the join lines between the Aries wall and the kit wall. The engine is just there to check for position and fit.

Picture 3. The damaged guns from the bottom, with a couple of plastic strips to alter the angle higher off the engine block. I'm intending to position them first then effect the repairs, hopefully getting both guns level and parallel.

Picture 4. The gun platform top/bottom. Had to shave about 1-2 mm off the indicated ends so the instrument panel will fit properly and a put a plastic strip under to help with levels. Again some repainting necessary. Sorry about the focus but it is late.

Picture 5. The Aries instrument panel so far. This comprises a separate PE top and bottom panel with printed dial faces on film behind, against white background. Levers and T-handles still to be added before positioning. Painting still to be finished, then positioned on end of gun platform, into cockpit.

Picture 6. All I've managed, so far, on the seatbelt assembly! They've been painted in Tamiya XF55, Deck Buff.

Picture 7. As Terry (Airframes) warned, a lot of scraping and sanding required under the engine cowlings to get them to fit over the guns and engine. They seem OK in a loose fit but will have to wait until the fuselage is complete and engine installed to know if shims are also required.

That's where I'm at at this moment. Most of my time this week was taken up with adjustments, rather than building. Hopefully i can get on and make some progress now.

Attachments

• Sanded cowlings.jpg
    Sanded cowlings.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Instruments.jpg
    Instruments.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 171
  • cockpit starboard.jpg
    cockpit starboard.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Seat belt start.jpg
    Seat belt start.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Port wall, handwheels.jpg
    Port wall, handwheels.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 242
  • Broken guns.jpg
    Broken guns.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Gun mount bottom.jpg
    Gun mount bottom.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 171
Sorry Guys, the pictures seem to have uploaded in random order and not as I uploaded them. They've appeared in order of: 7, 5, 2, 6, 1, 3 and 4. Don't know how that happened.

Just a general post. I'm having difficulties on the forum with photos not displaying automatically, even when logged in. This is happening with photos I've posted on this thread and on some other threads, but not all. I haven't been able to find any solution for this in 'preferences' on my browser, so am assuming this is a temporary glitch on the site which will be corrected eventually. I'm also assuming other members are having similar problems?

I am about to post some progress shots over the next couple of hours. As the last shots I posted appeared in random order, I am hoping to simplify things by making four short posts so that even if they scramble, they should be self explanatory. Hope you're able to view them.

First of four new posts. I'd mentioned I was playing around with a leather seat back. Don't know if is was worth the trouble but here's a composit photo of the stages to get there. i based this on a reference I found of the moulded seat from the Cutting Edge cockpit set, I used in the background.

1. Back made from old leather credit card wallet, bottom left of shot. Edging is rolled painters' masking tape, moulded around the edge with lots of PVC glue.

2. When dry (overnight) a couple of coats of grey primer, to smooth it out a bit. While the primer was still soft, I scribed a couple of wrinkles into the back, to add some relief.

3. The painted cushion, in situ. First I painted a coat of Revell Dark Earth, and while still wet rubbed some off with a cotton bud, then some Burnt Umber oil paint was dry brushed to give an old leather feel.

The cushion is just wedged in position on the seat, so can be removed easily, if I decide I don't like it.

P.S Web Wizards; love the animated Irish Flag! :lol:

Attachments

• Seat cushion Trytipch .jpg
    Seat cushion Trytipch .jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 144
Thanks, Lucky13, glad you like it. My last post has come up as thumbnails, not as a full 800x600, on my computer. But I can click on the image and temporarily bring it to full size. gonna get some dinner now, more posts later.

I like what you've done Gerry, and worry not, I think we're all experiencing issues with the attachments. At least I am. I think when they get it sorted out, it will work pretty nice as the features in the upload manager allow you to insert pics inot text and move them around easily.

Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying immensely watching this build go together.

Thanks Andy, Terry Woody. Got sidetracked by the football after dinner, but back to work now with post 2. Did some more work on the seat and seatbelts and am posting 3 pictures in this post.

Since my post about a week ago, I spent most of the the time working with PE parts on the belts or detailing the instrument panel and cockpit. I didn't realise I knew so many swear words in the English language and a few undiscovered ones in Irish too! This is my way of saying that I'm definitely not a natural when working with PE. I found the seatbelts hard going and very hard to manipulate into shape, when assembled. i would consider, in future builds, using tape for the straps and just use metal for the buckles etc. This is all in 1/32 scale as well. I doff my cap to those who work with PE in smaller scales - particularly 1/72. Respect!
I think that the photos are easily identified even if they don't load in the correct order.

1. Is a reference shot of a seat I have in a book on the Bf109. It shows how the lap belts were anchored to the seat.

2. My attempt to replicate this using lightly drilled and indented plasticard.

3. The anchored seatbelts and painted brackets.

Attachments

• Bf109E Seat.jpg
    Bf109E Seat.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Seatbelts.jpg
    Seatbelts.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 157
  • Seat bracket.jpg
    Seat bracket.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 139
On to Post 3. Here are some shots (4), at different angles, of the completed cockpit, before buttoning up. They're in no particular order and all have been shot using natural daylight, mainly, but I have included one, shot with flash, for greater internal detail.

What's new? Well the Aries gunsight has been added, with a scrap wire power lead. The gunsight reflectors come as plastic film. I used a coloured pentel to give one a green tint; The seat and seatbelts in position; various levers and t-handles added to the console and, as you can see, the machine guns have been repaired and positioned. Some touching-up required on the gun platform and guns and hopefully, that's the cockpit done.

Attachments

• Open profile 2.jpg
    Open profile 2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Open profile 3.jpg
    Open profile 3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Open profile 1.jpg
    Open profile 1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Open profile flash.jpg
    Open profile flash.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 172
Finally, Post 4. The port fuselage side has been positioned and it fits! I was just about to add some liquid poly, when I decided to check the kit instructions - because I'd been working in the cockpit, I hadn't referred to them in over a week. Just as well I did. I had completely forgotten the tail wheel assembly! So holding off on cementing until I get the wheel assembly painted and positioned.

I decided to post some pictures anyhow, to let you see what it looks like as a unit. No chance with natural light here. I did take some but it's like staring down a coal mine. So 4 pics, at different angles. The engine is still loose and the port side needs a new cockpit sill and I can't install the sloping bulkhead plate 'till the fuselage is together.

Now, hopefully I can get started on the wings, rads and wheel wells. It'll be nice to work with plastic again.

Attachments

• Buttoned up 1.jpg
    Buttoned up 1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Buttoned up 3.jpg
    Buttoned up 3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Buttoned up 2.jpg
    Buttoned up 2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 153
  • Buttoned up 4.jpg
    Buttoned up 4.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 156
Speechless thats really awesome work thanks for sharing all your efforts are paying off with the detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back