Galland's Bf 109E-4 1/32 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gentlemen, I stand here humbled in the light of your reason and perspicacity. I now realise that there is no competition between the two passions. Beer is much easier (hic). And I'll drink to that. I also salute your almost uncanny intuition in foreseeing a temporary news blackout, from this quarter, at least until the weekend.

See, I can almost speak English, too!

Gentlemen, thank you all for the witty responses to my last post. I enjoyed them . I hope that everyone on the Forum who had the opportunity to celebrate St Patrick's Day, had a good one. I certainly did, and am now feeling a great deal greener - particularly about the gills!

Between the cracks, I did manage to make a little more progress and here are the results:

Pictures 12. The main undercarriage, painted but not assembled yet. I still need to paint the outer doors in RLM 65 and will do that first, before assembly. The metal tie-clips are made from the soft wine bottle collar metal, unpainted. The bottoms of the tyres have been flattened using a hot iron. The painted tail wheel is positioned, so I can now fit the fuselage halves together.

Picture 3. The radiator and oil baths. The grills have been painted in a very thin, oily, black/brown wash, then drybrushed with Boltgun Metal. The oil bath exterior will eventually be painted yellow, with just the rear shutter left in RLM 65.

Picture 4. The cannons were painted in RLM 66, then drybrushed with Boltgun Metal.

Picture 5. Yes, in a fit of bravado, or madness, or indeed, alcohol, I decided today that I was going to try modeling this kite with its flaps and slats deployed. This, for me, is a very brave (or foolhardy) move, as I have never tried this type of drastic surgery before. I am relieved to report that I managed to separate all the components, with craft knives and saw, without causing too much damage. However, the manufacturer doesn't make this easy, as a number of the cut lines go through locating pins and the slat on the bottom wing half is right on the thick gluing plastic.

I realise now that I've given myself a lot more work to do, sanding and thinning the tailing edges and I still have to figure out how I'm going to replicate the inner flap faces and the inner slat carriage. Hopefully at this point I won't botch it, as I have no spares to fall back on, though I do have some good reference photos to work from.

That's it for now. I'll keep the forum posted on progress (or disasters).

Attachments

• Painted undercarriage 2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 167
  • Flaps slats.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Painted rads.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Painted tail wheel.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Painted cannons.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 161
You've got a very inspiring build going here matey.
Makes me want to abandon everything and do my 1/32nd Merlin's Magic.
But I gotta get my VVS builds done first.

Terry, Andy, Wayne and Njaco. Thanks for the positive comments. Seeing the standards of your builds on the Forum I respect your views, whether positive or critical. N4521U. I'll have to get your name - otherwise I'll just call you "N" - I'm assuming that's a Spitfire you're referring to? Love to see it when you get a chance to work on it. And Woody, no slacking! As Andy said about me; "Out with the whip!" But seriously, you're doing a nice job on the 'Trop' - keep it up.

I've been kept busy doing basic work, mainly sanding, I've got the fuselage together, without too much trouble (temporary loss of the Revi sight when test fitting the front canopy section, so that may be left off till just before the final positioning) and the sloping rear bulkhead in now in position, needing a small amount of filling, at the top. There's still sanding to be done to get the saddle cowling to fit and definitely shims needed here. I may also need to shim the engine cowling to match the height of the saddle, but as I'm reluctant to cement the engine in place until just before exterior painting, I'll have to wait to see how they finally match up.

There's a couple of things i need clarification on, if anyone can oblige. I'm sanding down the heavily defined detail off the control surfaces - flaps, ailerons, rudder etc - as this doesn't feature prominently in most photos of actual aircraft. Am I right in thinking that all the control surfaces were metal framed, covered in fabric? I'm also at the stage where I'm thinking ahead about the final paint job. In one of my reference books it's stated that at this period, November 1940, Galland's canopy frame was probably in RLM 66, as it photographs darker than the surface camouflage behind it. Can anyone confirm or deny this and if not true, what colour should the canopy frame be?

I've started scratch-building the telescope sight and the rear head armour, which didn't come with either the kit or the after parts set and I'm going to have to drill the windscreen to take the telescope, which I'm nervous about, as I don't want to scratch the surrounding perspex. Nothing advanced enough to photograph but will post photos as soon as ready.

Yes, the control surfaces were alloy ribs, fabric covered. The ribs only just showed on the ailerons and elevators, but the rudder only showed (just) the reinforcing tape seams, close up.
Do you mean the outside of the canopy frame? If grey, it would be RLM74, if still in the greens, then RLM 71.
Put a slice of masking tape over the windscreen, mark the centre spot for the hole with a pencil, and drill through the tape. Avoids scratches if you slip.

Thanks for the masking tape tip Terry, i'll try that.

I'm posting the reference I referred to in my last post, to clarify the question. I'm assuming the author means the standard 02/71/65 scheme with an exterior grey canopy? The appearence of the aircraft seems to be around the same time as the video stills Terry posted earlier on the thread.

I superimposed the cover on the extract. Hope I'm not infringing copyright by posting this.

Attachments

• Galland's canopy.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 159
Gerry, name is Bill. And sorry, MM is a Reno racing P-51D. Looking to see more of Your build mate. I feel all I am doing now is leading up to my big version of MM.

This is a thread I started on the 1/48th version, jeez it's been a year and a half ago!!!! http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/p-51d-merlins-magic-1-48-a-22648.html I did the nose art on this baby almost 20 years ago. I knew Stu and his wife Marilyn pretty well back then. They are great people. I understand Stu is now the training pilot at the air races now. Introducing the newbies to the track. Stu flew F-86's in Korea.

Hi Gerry,
compliment for your progresses on the Matchbox kit.
The pic with the light camouflage shows with 90% certitude the 65/02/71 variation of of 1940. So I tend the color of the canopy frame being RLM 71.

Users who are viewing this thread