Galveston Gal Down

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
I had flown around Livermore and it's surrounds in a Mustang several times. I also flew in Eagles and Pitts, we wore parachutes in them. The first time I got into the Mustang with Russ I asked if we had chutes, "I'm not bailing out if we get into trouble" he says. Off we went!

A sad day, I'm sure his wife of so many years is grieving something terrible. It is expected he would return with a smile in his face and a great story to tell. A sad day.

I am of two minds about this. One, obviously, I am sorry for the loss for the families.
Two, (and I know that this will be a sore point), I wonder if it is time to retire these airframes to museums. Original aircraft of history deserve to be preserved. We have the technology to create replicas, let those fly. Save the originals.
Just my opinion!

I am of two minds about this. One, obviously, I am sorry for the loss for the families.
Two, (and I know that this will be a sore point), I wonder if it is time to retire these airframes to museums. Original aircraft of history deserve to be preserved. We have the technology to create replicas, let those fly. Save the originals.
Just my opinion!

That's a debate which re-opens every time a tragedy like this happens.I'm sure it will all be gone through again this time.

Loss of life like this is very sad, but I'm not sure we have the right to tell people what they can and cannot do with their aeroplanes, assuming they comply with the relevant regulations.

Cheers

Steve

It is definitely NOT time to retire the airframes. They will be retired when they wear out.

With proper maintenance, they are very safe and flyable. The warbirds have a pretty good safety record, possibly except in low-level aerobatic maneuvers. These are killers even if the palne is NEW. When will people realize that low-level rolls should only be done on an upline? Amd loops should be practiced until you consistently come out above the starting altitude. That way, you can ease the pull a little on the way down and make it look good.

In this case, we don't even know if aerobatics were invloved. All we KNOW is that the plane impacted the water.We may or may never know. Accidents don't call for ridiculous legislation. Are you willing to retire old cars because they have accidents that kill people? What about old sailboats? Old trains? Mybe the San Francisco cable cars?

Thankfully, we in the USA are free to fly as long as the plane is airworthy, and the standards are high.

Crashes happen occasionally.

Sad news all round; unfortunately in our part of the world an aircraft crashed while fighting those terrible bush fires in New South Wales, and another aircraft crashed while delivering parts for helicopters fighting the fires:

NSW bushfires: pilot killed in fire-fighting crash, Defence apology over Lithgow fire - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

O.T: All the best to our members in NSW. The heroics and professionalism of the mostly volunteer fire fighters battling the fires in the face of high temperatures and strong winds have saved lives.

Last edited:
It is definitely NOT time to retire the airframes. They will be retired when they wear out.

With proper maintenance, they are very safe and flyable. The warbirds have a pretty good safety record, possibly except in low-level aerobatic maneuvers. These are killers even if the palne is NEW. When will people realize that low-level rolls should only be done on an upline? Amd loops should be practiced until you consistently come out above the starting altitude. That way, you can ease the pull a little on the way down and make it look good.

In this case, we don't even know if aerobatics were invloved. All we KNOW is that the plane impacted the water.We may or may never know. Accidents don't call for ridiculous legislation. Are you willing to retire old cars because they have accidents that kill people? What about old sailboats? Old trains? Mybe the San Francisco cable cars?

Thankfully, we in the USA are free to fly as long as the plane is airworthy, and the standards are high.

Crashes happen occasionally.

I don't want legislation, ridiculous or other wise.
I was just suggesting that some historical aircraft be retired so as to preserve them to future generations. As in, if I owned the last Bf-109E on the face of the planet, Maybe it would be a good idea to preserve it. That's all. No agenda, just say'in!

There are a number of museums around the world who have that philosophy, so aircraft will be preserved. But, given the fact that there are more warbirds flying now than 15 years ago, I don't think that not having these aircraft will ever be a realistic proposition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back