GB #17 Jet age / Recon / Transport Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Okay then.....
I have found three squadrons that flew F6F-5P's ...............
VF-3 1945 CVG-3 USS Yorktown
VF-9 1945 CVG-9 USS Yorktown
VF-88 1945 CVG-88 USS Yorktown

Anyone got anything picture or detail wise for the location and shape of the camera window?
I have only found that there was a round window, port side only, just below and behind the wing flaps.

So all I have to do is drill a bl00dy hole in the fuselage and put a piece of glass in it.......

I'm in camp right now Bill and if no one has responded by next Wednesday, I'll send you some photos and drawings.

Geo(no reindeer allowed in camp)

If my inspiration has returned by then (thanks to this with the bank card etc., it's been blown out the window! ) I might try to do this one, if i can find a 1/48 F-4 Recon bird....

F-4-1-LO Lightning, Serial Number 41-2098, Tail 98

USAAF
5th AF
6th PRG
8th PRS

Pilot: Andrew W. Peterson, O-438657 (MIA/KIA) ND
MIA: September 14, 1942

Aircraft History
Constructors Number 222-5316. Shipped overseas to Australia. Assembled by CAC at Melbourne on September 2, 1942. Assigned to the 6th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, 8th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron.

On September 4, 1942 pilot Thomas ferried F4 41-2156 and Fred Hargesheimer piloted this aircraft from Melbourne to Stock Route Airfield near Townsville.

Wartime History
Took off at 6:00am from 14 Mile Drome (Schwimmer) a reconnaissance mission against north-east New Guinea and the Buna area.

8th Photo Squadron Diary Harlan H. Olsen, Monday - September 14, 1942
"Tragedy is certainly dogging our boys. Lt. Peterson departed at 0600 in 2098 for dawn patrol of northeast New Guinea, and nothing more was heard from him. After checking the airdromes, Major Polifka took off in search of him, but a general overcast at 5,000 feet made observation impossible. Pete is a swell person, one of the regular guys, and he will be sorely missed. These first missions are exceedingly difficult. The weather is always bad, and with no experience over the terrain, navigation is mostly by guess and by God. Best of luck Pete, we shall pray that you walk out."

This aircraft was officially condemned October 31, 1944. SOC Jan 9, 1945.

Is this the earlier Lightning, with the 'slim' engine nacelles?
If so, grab the Academy 'Glacier Girl' or similar kit, and I have the recce noses from the Academy P-38J which could be adapted I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread