GB#21 - Pacific Theatre of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is what I have Andy....
001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

The first two sheets are Xtradecal/X48-052, 12 inch,18 inch and 24 inch. The third sheet, not shown contains the roundels, 36 inch and 54 inch, all the same design.

Geo

EDIT: Looking at your photo I'm going to say 18" numbers, the bar is 9mm and the numbers 10mm on the decal sheet and I'm wondering if the "P" is the same size, (holding a plastic ruler to the screen, not truly accurate, I know) the 24" is definitely too large.

Last edited:
Seeing as Cory is doing Gray's aircraft and Andy is most likely doing Sheppards F4U I was thinking if I finished my P-51 early, I might do the last Pacific Commonwealth Ace, another Canadian, Lt. Bill Atkinson(5+2sh) who flew Hellcats. If I start, I would appreciate any info.

Geo

There's one other one Geo, a Leslie Durno, also Canadian. I did his Corsair for another GB but never finished. I'll have to dig up the info.

I've looked a bit into Atkinson in the past, but don't remember a ton. I know there were some photos of his aircraft kicking around, I'll see what I can find.

found this Andy.

corsair.jpg

from same Sqn and by the not very scientific method of comparing the FAA decals i bought with 54 inch roundel decals the 24 inch numbers look very similar to way they look in the pictures

sorry i went straight to the bottom of the page and did not see Cory had already posted the same pic !

Last edited:
Andy, here's another Corsair for you.

View attachment 253512

This will likely also interest you. 1/48 Tamiya Corsair II by Randy Lutz

Geo, here's what little I've found. Andy actually found this link for me a few years ago and I came across it on google!

Canadian (RCN) Hellcat or Corsair - ARC Discussion Forums

I'll keep my eye out for more, I may have some on a hard drive.

Interesting discussion Cory. Thanks, now bookmarked.

Geo

Thanks for all the help guys. After looking closely at the various pictures, I've come to the conclusion that the numbers on the Sheppard Corsair would be 18" tall. The P on the tail is the same. This scales to the same dimension as the width of the bar on the BPF marking and pretty much all the pics above confirm that. I was deceived a bit by 1-47 as the dark outline on the bar makes the numbers look taller but if you actually measure them off the photos, they are about the same height.

Cory, that build by Tony Lutz is what actually inspired me to do this scheme. Really like the colours more than Sheppard's earlier Corsair T8H.

Geo, I'll be sending my order in shortly!

Thanks for all the help guys. After looking closely at the various pictures, I've come to the conclusion that the numbers on the Sheppard Corsair would be 18" tall. The P on the tail is the same. This scales to the same dimension as the width of the bar on the BPF marking and pretty much all the pics above confirm that. I was deceived a bit by 1-47 as the dark outline on the bar makes the numbers look taller but if you actually measure them off the photos, they are about the same height.

Cory, that build by Tony Lutz is what actually inspired me to do this scheme. Really like the colours more than Sheppard's earlier Corsair T8H.

Geo, I'll be sending my order in shortly!

sorry Andy i just realized i typed 24 inch when i meant 18inch code letters, like you i think they were roughy the same size as the bar on the roundel, and plan to do the same when i get space to do "Hammy" Gray's corsair

Thanks for clearing that up Karl. It was bothering me a bit as I could not get my various measurements to support 24 inch numbers. I though for a minute the P was larger but measurements confirm that's not the case.

Grab an appropriate model, in this case an aircraft from the Pacific Theater, then go to this link and read very carefully lest Wurger will have your Gonads for even the smallest typo.
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/group-builds-official/first-post-each-gb-entry-39804.html
I'm in charge of collecting the 63$CAN entry fee, 98% of which goes to my next model purchase. Have fun, ask lots of questions, and above all, have fun.

Geo

EDIT: Ya beat me to it Cory, but then you are 1 hour ahead of me....

Hey,

How does one get involved in this GB thing. I have never been part of one so what do I need to do other than selecting an A/C of choice?

There are three categories, Beginner, Imntermediate and Advnaced, or expert. The experts here are good. im a beginner, have done 22 models i think in my entire life.

its a competition, and people take it seriously, but the competition is not the most important thing here. We come here, with all manner of different skill levels, because we have a common interst, and its a hoot talking to other people who are intersted in the same thing as yourself. There are rules, as Terry says, but dont get too stirred up about that, they are easy really. my advice, find a model youve been wanting to build and dive in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back