GB#21 - Pacific Theatre of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

An Eduard 1/48 Hellcat II arrived last week, so I'll be entering that in this Group Build. It will be built out of the box and using the kit decals for JX814 of 1844 Sqn FAA, aboard HMS Indomitable, Okinawa, April 1945

Hello,
If I have the time, for me, it will be J. J. Foss'aircraft at Guadalcanal; this one:
Capturer1.jpg

Or this one
Capturer2.JPG

Or the both with Tamiya 1/48......... :)

Still deciding on an entry. I'd like to do Don Sheppard's Corsair (below) but can not land decals for the codes so am checking options. I have the 1, 3, and P but not a 6 and I'd have to make the s/n

Scan.jpg

Still deciding on an entry. I'd like to do Don Sheppard's Corsair (below) but can not land decals for the codes so am checking options. I have the 1, 3, and P but not a 6 and I'd have to make the s/n

View attachment 253409

I have a few sheets, let me see what I have.

EDIT: I've got these Andy, they're from the Eduard Dual Combo Hellcats. You're welcome to them. I cannot help you with a serial number however. Well, I can give you the black serial numbers from the sheet if you need them, but I don't have the proper actual numbers for you besides a 3.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Those are exactly the ones I already have Cory but thanks for the offer. I'd make the P's by trimming off the tail on the R. The one and three that come on the same sheet are slightly smaller than the 6 unfortunately. There's a two the same size and it's possible, but not desirable, to make it into a 6 with some tricky surgery. I'm not too fussed about the s/n as that's an easy home made job but it's the white numerals that are the problem.

OK guys, no more haggling, no more if's, why's, wherefore's or maybe's.

b0227.gif

GB.21 is up and rolling…………………..I've just entered my unstarted Spitfire from GB.20.

respect-040.gif

Interesting.... there wasn't any entry when heading bed at 2AM of my local time. Today in the morning I found six new ones. Great......
respect-040.gif

Karl, Geo, thanks guys. Wondering about the number size as all I ever see are profiles of this plane and no pics. This is the closest sister ship:

ac_414.jpg

The numbers are slightly taller than the bar on the roundel and the P is larger than the numbers. If anyone knows the specs of these numbers and letters (heights), please let me know, otherwise I'll scale them as best I can.

I've made mention in my thread that both the numbers and the roundels seem to vary largely in size. The thing about the three-toned aircraft like the one you're looking at is the vast majority would have had the ETO roundels painted on them, and then had the BPF roundels painted while on the ship, whereas many of the blue ones would have come with the BPF roundel already applied, thus making sizing a very tricky thing to nail down. Here's another aircraft from the same carrier. The centre dot appears to be larger in this photo than in the one you posted.

gray_plane.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back