GB 22-Seaplanes, Floatplanes of WWII, Allied or Axis.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Was gonna take part (Kingfisher from USS West Virginia and/or USS Pennsylvania, prewar) in this one, but as the workload has gone haywire (Commonwealth Games here in Glasgow shortly, plus the World Cup), I struggle to get back to the Avenger and the Jack, this silly thing.....what was it.....aaah....sleep, keep bugging me!
Maybe a wee injection of paint (as in order some, silly!), plus the next time that I wake up at @#§%$¥€ o' clock, try to do something...

Otherwise, I'll do like Terry, (without the cheerleader outfit of course) cheer you on from the sidelines!

i havent entered yet, but will this weekend i think. I have a PBY and a Japanese Seiran to choose from (or perhaps both), i want to build a dio for the PBYand have been trying to find a good method. There was one that i found that used a card base, built up around the gunwhales of the ship, to give the illusion of depth. The card was painted blue with white using hobby grade acrylic...applied really thickly and roughly to simulate wave effect. Then the builder applied several layers of clear silcon over the top with a small bead near the gunwhale line, patting it down with a plastic spoon of all things to get the wave or chop effect. Finally he applied some dry brushed white to get the wave tops .

It looks like a relatively simple but effective method

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOpc8Q6a7M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtWCKsx30I

Hmm. But it doesn't quite match the pink cheer leader's skirt and top that Jan loaned me........
I've just realised, I can throw in the 'Pete' I'm doing for a commission. It was started some time ago, but, due to various other interruptions, and my hands refusing to work for most of the past year, little has been done so far.
Being a Japanese aircraft, something I haven't tackled since around 1962 (!!!), I have very little knowledge on the subject, so there'll be more than a few questions !

User name,donivanp
First nameDonivan (Don),
Category Intermediate,
scale(s) entered 1/48,
kit manufacturer Monogram,
model type OS2U-3
m details of markings/Kit comes with three sets of marking, Pre war USN, WW II USN, and RN

I had started to build this as one of my yellow wings aircraft and had cut the floats off to put landing gear on, I have painted the wings and fuselage also in prep to do this. Nothing else has been done to this and it will have to be re painted and floats put back on to do this GB. According to Rule #2 (below) this is a judges call.

If approved I intend to do it in the WW II USN with the kit supplied markings. I also beg your indulgence as this is my first attempt at this and If I make a mistake let me know and I will try and correct it.

2.) Only models built and finished by members, during the course of the GB, can be
entered. However, if a competitor wishes to enter a model or models on which work
has already commenced then, subject to application to, and approval by the judges,
this may possibly be allowed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 110
Hello all, on the subject of judges approval can I ask the following please -

Can I build my 131OTU RAF Catalina but just missing the squadron code letter please? Serial FP194 and squadron code AH would be present on the model. Just the illusive final letter missing?

No hard feelings if the answer is no anyway.

Cheers Chris

I can't tell you what other judges will say. In my opinion a such project should be approved. Just you may get a little bit less of points for the inomplete marking what will result in the slightly decreased final note. So it's up to you only if you decide to enter the GB with the model.

Thanks guys will await the result. To be honest it really is just the taking part in the GB I do it for so I'm happy with complete point deduction to be fair.

Yes a diorama is the must for all of my models anyway so it goes without saying that this will be part of one.

Cheers Chris

Thanks Andy, it's not the having it's just not knowing what the letter is that's the problem.
Posted up about this in the aircraft requests forum but with no joy.

Cheers Chris

....or do a small diorama, where they're about to add that last letter in the code, think that I've seen, somewhere, 1/48 or similar, a model railroad figure with an airbrush....

Brilliant Jan, just brilliant. I'm at the opposite end, have a photo that shows no code on the aircraft but I've read articles the mention "P" as the code, decal sheet included. As the others say, go for it Chris and something may turn up. In the back of my "Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939-1945" which lists all the FAA serial numbers is this...
chris.JPG
chris1.JPG

My book was printed in 1995 so if you can find the books, the prices are probably different.

Geo

I put this I want to do with failing convair (often mistake I made):

Supermarine Stranraer, No.240 Squadron, Royal Air Force, Stranraer, Scotland, January 1941.

but I have a little problem, the plane that I have is light revealed this, and the colors coming in revell smoothly so here as the color b is a mix and I have not the slightest idea what may be because the images I've seen of the is similar to dark gull gray color but I'm not sure, to find out for sure and fix it if anyone can tell the colors that was'll have more than leftovers, have more or less light colors but when in doubt it is better to ask then come mistakes.

Yep, that looks about right.
Chris, no problem with your entry. If you can't discover what the individual code letter was, by the end of the build, you could always take an 'educated' guess, and add a suitable letter. There may not be proof that it is the correct letter, but then, there's probably not proof that it's incorrect either !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back