GB-36 1/48 Fw 190A-8 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello,
Plane coded "<4" is not from JG 300 with inverted colours for the Air Defense Band but a plane of Stab./JG 5 with a yellow/black band.
RLM 83 was a Dark Blue colour (see Travemünde Documents) but only a variation of RLM 82...
Spielmann

IMHO it's the kite you are going to replicate, Karl.

Schwarze4-b.jpg

Schwarze4-a.jpg

Schwarze4-c.jpg

THe picture source: the net...

I remember a disscussion on another forum about the squadron markings a couple of years ago. As memo serves Erich participated in that. It was agreed that the kite belonged to the JG 301 but not the JG 5.

Karl, if in doubt about this scheme, there's another possibility from Captured Eagles Vol 1 by Gaemperle: Red 3 WNr 961093 of 2/JG301. Simple red #3 with no outline, white horizontal bar across RV band, 81/82 camo scheme. I can send a picture and text to you via email if interested. Let me know.

Karl, if in doubt about this scheme, there's another possibility from Captured Eagles Vol 1 by Gaemperle: Red 3 WNr 961093 of 2/JG301. Simple red #3 with no outline, white horizontal bar across RV band, 81/82 camo scheme. I can send a picture and text to you via email if interested. Let me know.
Please do Andy, You still have my email ?

Thanks

That would be great Karl. From the looks of the picture I think I can get away with decals I already have but that would be a good guide, especially the location sheet, thanks.

Will sort it out on Sunday for you.

Pm me your email again and i'll send you full size scan of the location instructions and paint scheme etc

Ok thanks, will take that into consideration.
Can i ask where that info comes from ?

From my documents.
<4 is without doubt a Stab./JG plane. If we look at the endowments of squadrons at the very end of war, we see that Stab./JG 301 had only Ta 152 H-0/1s and that Stab./JG 5 had a mix of Bf 109 Gs and Fw 190 As, particularly A-8s.
More, on b/w photos red is generally darker than yellow. The RVD band of JG 301 was yellow/red, yellow being in the forward position. On the b/w pictures the band of <4 should be "very light grey/very dark grey". As it is inverted this band depicts JG 5 the band of which was black/yellow. The rendering of the black band is of the same density as the "Hackenkreuz" and "Balkenkreuz" which were balck. The yellow part is very light grey which is standard rendering on panchro films. On ortho films red or black should be a deep black and yellow a darker grey.

Spielmann

thanks again.

you very well may be correct on this but i have decided to carry on building it as a Jg301 subject for now.

i should be able to start building next week !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back