GB-37 1:24 Hawker Hurricane I - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The wheel box continues at a glacial pace but that is okay by me. The pieces that were confusing me have been added. They are the unpainted pieces and they along with a number of other unpainted areas will be sprayed once the assembly is complete. Any area that had to have pieces attached have been left unpainted to aid in the glue adhering properly.

Thanks to all who have contributed bits of their knowledge to this point. It won't be too long till the wing tops are attached to the large, one piece bottom wing. I still need to put the ailerons together and get them ready, securethe landing gear box to the bottom wing and then mate things up. The fuselage is just about ready to go together as well.

IMG_0001.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

A bit of a problem has become appearant. I came to be the owner of this kit through the widow of a guy I worked with while at the police department. He was a garage sale kind of guy and no doubt picked up this kit at one of many he attended. When I got the kit there were many pieces broken off the sprues so I bagged them all and never did a complete inventory.

Well, today I was at the point where the exhaust stubs were to be out together. Six stubs comprising of 12 halves that needed to be joined. Problem is I only have 11 halves. I have looked around the workbench and to date I have not located the missing piece. I will take another look later but I have a strong feeling that the piece was not in the box when I first got the kit.

All I can say is RATS.

Oh well, something will come to mind.

Cheers,

Jeff

Coming along nicely Jeff, shame about the exhaust stub though, any chance you can scratch one.

That's tough Jeff. A couple of alternatives come to mind if you don't want to go out and get a pricey resin replacement set:

- Build up the missing half with plastic card glued to its mate and then carve/file/sand to shape, or
- use one of the other halves as a master, press it into plasticine and make a casting using resin you can buy at Michaels, or
- shape the missing half with Milliput.

Went with the putty option. I have it built up but will leave it be for a couple of days before I shape it a bit. Doesn't look half bad already as it has the general shape but sanding will be required. I am off to London to visit the Queen aka my mother for an overnight stay. She has a few small jobs that need done around her house so it is #1 son to the rescue.

Have a great day everyone.

Cheers,

jeff

Maybe Mom can shape your exhaust stub while you fix her stuff!

Glad you have a solution that sounds like it's working.

Before I left this morning I managed to get the tops of the wings mated to the bottom wing. I also puttied up the missing exhaust stub and will file away and sand away tomorrow when I get home. They are calling for some amazing weather this weekend so i hope to get lots of sap to make more maple syrup.

Cheers

Jeff

Hope you can sort the exhaust stub Jeff. If not, then send off to Airfix, via Hornby Hobbies, for the parts. They have always offered a free replacement part service, and this kit is still current. It may take a few weeks, but you should get the part.
You'd need to state the kit and scale,part number(s) and description of part(s), and the problem - i.e. parts missing.

As I have mentioned the wings have been joined together, the edges sanded down and they are ready to be attached to the fuselage. The instrument panel has been glued to the port side of the fuselage and I am going to let it set before I join the fuselage halves together. The missing exhaust stack has been replaced by a putty stand in and thankfully it is a bottom side piece. Once painted it should not be too visible.

Next big step is the mating of the two fuselage halves. I think I will tackle this portion in three sections. I will do the tail end to the rear of the cockpit, then the cockpit itself followed by the front end. Perhaps tomorrow but I need to go get some more CA glue to help out with this stage.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Good stuff Jeff and nice to see that the exhaust fix worked out with relatively little pain. BTW, if you care, the small raised rectangles in your wheel wells would actually be clear panels that allowed the pilot to see from the pit that the gear has retracted fully.

Let me know if you want me to stop pointing out this kind of stuff.

ca9830982896bce9afb40281090493e6.jpg

Good stuff Jeff and nice to see that the exhaust fix worked out with relatively little pain. BTW, if you care, the small raised rectangles in your wheel wells would actually be clear panels that allowed the pilot to see from the pit that the gear has retracted fully.

Let me know if you want me to stop pointing out this kind of stuff.

View attachment 486144
Don't know if I will try to tackle that now but it is nice to know and please feel free to keep pointing out whatever needs to be corrected. I appreciate it and others may gain from it as well.

Jeff

Good stuff Jeff.
Just about to e-mail a book to you - 'Hurricane walk-around' - which might help with some further detail areas. Forgot I had this one, or I would have sent it ages ago !

Fuselage halves have been joined. Picture to follow after the glue has had a good amount of time to cure.

Cheers and Happy St Patrick's Day to those who feel a need or desire to celebrate.

Jeff

I'd love to see that "Hurricane Walk Round" book if possible Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back