GB-41 1/72 P-61 Black Widow - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi, I went back to work at our L. in the D., so after getting acquainted with what I stayed in, I made some dry fits to see how the interior look.

The pilot & gunner seen from both sides:

60.jpg
61.jpg
62.jpg
63.jpg
64.jpg
65.jpg

... as well as the Radio Operator:

66.jpg
67.jpg
68.jpg
69.jpg
70.jpg
71.jpg

When I tried to close both sides of the crew nacelle, I saw that the kit gun machines, which should be placed on the sides, ... have a poor detail and do not give impression to come straight from the inside ... [-( [-X ... :-k

74.jpg

This is one of the images that will serve as a reference to work on improving its appearance.

1.jpg

( sourse: Internet )

So before closing the nacelle, I will work on those new machine guns and part of them, from inside (green circles)

72.jpg
73.jpg

So in that and moving forward in other details of joining pieces, I will be able to resume work here.

Cheers :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

Thanks Chad, I'm progressing little by little, discovering interesting things to solve with this "advanced in years" kit o_O... I hope to have some photos tomorrow.

Saludos y un abrazo. :thumbup:

Today I was practically out all day, so yesterday night I could only advance a little on the wings.

Before closing them, I saw that the clear pieces that simulate the landing lights, are very coarse and the plastic of the wings very thick.
Some time ago I kept those alarm sensors that are attached to some products, because inside they bring 3 or 4 metallic sheets of a mirror-like finish, so I decided to use them for the first time for this purpose.

75.jpg

After lowering that thickness of the plastic with my dremel, I stuck a piece of those metal ribbons with super glue to a strip of styrene and this one with Tamiya Cement in its new position ...

76.jpg
77.jpg

It was not so bad, ... that small inner contour of the thickness of the wing, I will paint it with aluminum with a brush and I think the glass will be with a drop of MKK ...

78.jpg
79.jpg

I worked with jeweler files and sandpaper to improve the appearance of the air intakes. I hope that it is possible to distinguish that the wing above is better than the one below! 8-[

80.jpg

Finally, to glue the wings I had to use all the cavalry of the 7th Battalion of pincers! :arcade:

81.jpg
82.jpg

Tomorrow I continue with some other details (mainweel legs, horizontal stabilizer, etc.) and of course, leave those wings the best presentable.

I hope you like it, hasta pronto compadres! :thumbup:

Upss! I made a mistake! :crazyeyes: ... It was for my P-61 in GB # 41
.... Can any moderator friend make the move? Or tell me your recommendation?
It was a "lapsus brutus" on my part, sorry :toothy5:

Saludos :thumbup:

Happy start to the week and month to all lovers of aviation and especially to all the transformers of plastic in interesting projects of scale models.
:wav:

A little absent in my thread for personal reasons, but what little I'm moving forward with pleasure I share (mental health for me, it is "necessary" to go and keep this, my personal therapist)

Pleasant surprises with this particular brand and model :-\" ... pleasant because somehow they are challenges to get ahead ... and practice makes the champion! (The great modelers of this forum know about this and I appreciate your advice and recommendations)

It is curious to see the injection points in some external parts of the kit and not in the interior as normally, as in the interiors or hidden areas ...
...independent too of the amount of pieces that have burrs or excess plastic injected in excess ...

83.jpg
84.jpg

From this last photo I had to guess and interpret in the instructions where they were going and what those pieces were!

85.jpg

They are part of the structure of the mainlegs. =P~

Another important detail to share (I think it had not happened in the few models that I have armed), is that in all branches of the kit, each piece has some numbering, no number is repeated, in clear pieces eitherand there is no nomenclature to identify each branch.
The funny thing is that in the instruction sheet that consists of 11 processes numbered from 1 to 11, with a drawing explaining what to do in each one, ... but ... it does not refer to the number that identifies each piece in the branches! [-X
Each drawing lists the pieces it always includes from # 1 and can be up to # 3 or depending on the complex, up to # 13. So imagine there are 11 pieces # 1, # 2 and # 3 (the process drawing 10, is the only one with 3 pieces, there are 2 with 4 pieces, 3 with 5 and so on.) Nothing that can not be identified knowing a little and doing tests, but I'm surprised what the designers of the kit could think back then [-( :scratch:
... It's just a comment from me. :pompous:

I made some dry fits, so as not to make mistakes and see in what conditions they fit the pieces well. (I'll have to work hard to "compose or fix" some details ...

86.jpg
87.jpg
88.jpg

For now the hydraulic pipelines are already as I normally update them.

89.jpg
90.jpg

The wall wells do not have any detail, so I will entertain doing my best to improve that appearance, taking into account the small scale ...

91.jpg

I had to cut the axis of the front leg gear a little over 1mm ...

92.jpg

... and I will also have to work on detailing those flat surfaces a bit !!

93.jpg
94.jpg

... I want to give my father back his P-61B, as best as possible (make amends for having "finished in pitched battle" all his collection of planes when I was... just a little restless child :bag: ) :smug:

On the other hand, I can tray to make her as good as possible, and be in this year's IPMS. :thumbright:
It is a kit in 1/72, simple to assemble, but I must make it worth the time, experience and learning,... I will calmly enjoy the process (mainly due to my lack of time to work in it), besides, there is a lot to work on to improve the quality details that this kit brings and to do the honors that deserved this emblematic aircraft and the historic "Lady in the Dark"

I hope you like it :thumbup:

Saludos
Luis Carlos

Thanks guys, I have been able to keep moving forward. Later I'll upload the photos.
Greetings and thanks for your visits and kind comments.

Abrazos :thumbup: :pilotsalute:

Before trying to close both parts of the 3 nacelles that make up the P-61, we must make some adjustments, improvements and add some details.
Even in the case of engine nacelles, I have to paint the inside (once detailed), the different gates of the entire landing gears system and paint the three legs separately (they are in a different color from the interior of the bays), before glued them. :!:

Starting first with the crew´s nacelle, you have to prepare the ground for the new 20mm (.79 in) Hispano M2 machine guns ...

106.jpg
107.jpg
108.jpg

There is a difference compared to what the original kit offers ... (and that´s our job :pilotsalute:)

109.jpg
110.jpg
111.jpg

The hypodermic needles will be the new protagonists and I had to make slight adjustments to occupy a more real position according to the few images I could find on the internet.
I think the result is acceptable ... Everything is a provisional view (dry fit)

112.jpg
113.jpg
114.jpg
115.jpg

I still have to improve the finish of what I redid with the dremel, the tips of the machine guns have a small detail ... plus I have to start with the other side !! :hungry:

I will keep in touch and happy Wednesdays for everyone.

Saludos :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back