GB-41 1/72 P-61 Black Widow - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I worked inside the front wells bay and for that, I relied on these photos. They are photos of the reconstruction of a P-61, for the MID - Atlantic Air Museum.
I found it difficult to find other references to landing gear in diagrams, plans or pictures of the time. :dontknow:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Source: http://www.maam.org/p61/p61_rest.htm

You already know that in some new or complex processes (for me), I try to make them accompany me by watching the photographs. It is likely that for someone they can be useful, as well as their kind comments and recommendations on any other idea that they have also used and want to share here.
Any questions, I will try to answer it as soon as possible and I thank you in advance for your participation.

First it was to improve the flat appearance of the surface and some small pieces of styrene, to give the correct shape of the base of the front leg ...

99.jpg

With galvanized wire (do not ask me what caliber), I found the most suitable and proportional to the scale, to simulate all the wiring that goes in the center. I also found a piece of PE (that's one of my "boxes with CHUCHERÍAS"), suitable for starting work...

100.jpg

The piece chosen is the one in dark blue color, I removed the paint and with the clean metal I made the piece that I want for the end part of all that wiring.

101.jpg
102.jpg
103.jpg
104.jpg

With pieces of a pin, I simulated the fasteners ...

105.jpg

Very entertaining (and an excellent test for desperate people, :banghead: ... I was about to succumb! :arcade:) was to manipulate that set of small wires and bend them properly !!
But the resulting piece I liked and was worth the odyssey ... :headbang:

120.jpg
121.jpg

I added some ribs made with leftover strips of the 3D printer (they have been pure gold for this type of details :idea:) and with a lead wire of 0.8 mm (the reel says it), simulated a tube with clamps that I could see in the photos.

In fact, this is how the piece will be ready to go to paint.

125.jpg

It is likely to leave the natural color of the wiring and only give color to the fasteners and the PE piece; The leg will also be painted in matt aluminum. So they will be placed after painting the wells bay.

But I could not stand the desire to do a dry fit before and see the whole section ... I liked it

122.jpg
123.jpg
124.jpg

It's all for now, I hope you like it. :thumbup:

I think now that I add your photos, W. to the ones I have, I can realize more carefully that what I did all the wiring and the tube, ...it is wrongly directed on the opposite side !! :shocked!:
But it is something that I can definitely live with (it was too much work disgust!! and it is not so important or alter something else), ... and I'm sure only a few will know. :dontknow:

Nice job. Sorry I didn't hop in here sooner. I have plenty of reference photos of different parts if you need them. Let me know if you need any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back