GB-49 1/48 P-51D - Favourite A/C of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Username : dneid
First name : Dale
Category : advanced - decided it was only right
Scale : 1/48
Manufacturer / Model : Airfix P-51D Early
Extras : Look IP / Quinta Studios cockpit details, possibly decals, Quickboost exhaust

I am very curious about the Airfix kit. I also have an Eduard kit. Man, the decision was a bitch. But, in the end the Airfix won out. I might add a second build to cover the Eduard kit. However, I want to see how I get started on the Airfix kit before I decide.

I have not yet decided on markings, either kit or aftermarket. If I can find a set of Big Beautiful Doll decals (or that maybe for the Eduard kit). But, I want to research a bit more before I finally decide. I am probably going to lean towards a non NMF scheme (exception being for Big Beautiful Doll).

As for cockpit details, I am leaning on using the Look IP and the QS stuff for the remainder of the cockpit. If I have some flattened resin tires, I will use them as well. I doubt I buy any if I do not have some already.

Sprue pics to come after I get the bench sorted out.

So, clean the bench up from the Hellcat and get started on this build.

Airfix P-51D Early.jpg
Airfix Afermarket.jpg

Last edited:
Deatto.

I think BBD was a later Mustang with the filleted tail Dale. If you are interested, I have a very old set of decals for this scheme from the Monogram kit.

Yeah, I know all my pics show BBD as a later model bird. I was just wondering if I could find anything that showed BBD as an early bird. Andy, thank you for the kind offer. But, I already have a set off BBD aftermarket decals.

Now, I snapped pics of the sprue / decals. If you look really hard at the single canopy pic, you can just make out an imperfection in the plastic. Looks almost like a mold release smear. But, alas, it is not. So, fingers crossed that I will not need to use that canopy.

Canopy Smear.jpgSprues 1.jpgSprues 2.jpgKit decals.jpg

Now comes the initial confusion. 1st) Main gear wells color. I find many sources that say green for everything and others that say NM with green ribs and yet others that say NM wells (including the wing spar), green wing spar. I am inclined to do NM with the green spar. Thoughts?
2nd) The age old putty the wings. Again many different sources with more than a few different thoughts. I need to dig out a reference book and see if I can clearly determine what was done at the factory.

Thanks for stopping by.

Joint putty and painting as per the drawings posted by Geo.
On the "D", the entire gear bays and insides of the gear doors were clear lacquered alloy, with the exception of the main spar ( the rear wall of the bay ) which was in zinc chromate ( not Interior Green ). The ribs could be ZC or bare alloy., both having been seen in period photos.
Don't b fooled by some current "walk around" pics showing green or ZC bays, as the aircraft owners have often had these areas painted / treated to prevent corrosion.

When you get to it and do need the mis-fired canopy, see if the spare in the Eduard kit will fit. If not, hit up Airfix and see if they can send a replacement or see if another builder has it in his spare box

Hey, Geo, Andy, Terry,
Thanks for the input. And, Geo, that was the set of images I was googling around for. Thanks for posting those. Andy. yeah, it seems Airfix engineered the kit for either filet-less or fileted tails. I kinda like how they did that. I will be curious as to the fit. Don says he had not issues with fit on the one he recently built. Oh, I Eduard does a late model (D-10) with BBD decals!

Ok, sorted out the markings. I am going to do Bite Me! Flown by Capt Murphy. I am googling around for more information on the pilot. If I find anything I will post it here. I did find one picture with him and the aircraft.

Bite Me with pilot.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back