GB-50 and beyond

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, after reading the thread, I've see more than a few ideas I really like. My suggestion in no particular order:
1) WWII Liaison AC - Storch, Lysander, etc
I don't think this has been a Dedicated build yet
2) I would love see a few jet GBs. 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s even. Yeah, I know we focus on WWII here. But scattering a few jet builds in would be nice.
Good idea on this one, perhaps Jets with innovations making great strides?
GB-17 Jet Age and Recon & 26 & 35 Viet Nam, would have been the only Jet builds. Perhaps #6, Cold War would classify.
#35 was the only Nam dedicated GB?
3) Captured aircraft is a fascinating idea as well.
GB#38 was a split Captured subject build.
4) Recyled old, un-completed builds is a GREAT idea. I have more than I a few I could resurrect. Ta-152, FW-190D, Swordfish to name a few
This would be interesting, All inclusive? Jets, WWII, WWI, Boats, Subs? hmmmm
5) I have not seen this idea floated yet and it could make for some complicated builds, but what the hell? Damaged birds ranging from minor holes to major holy hell, how did that stay in the air. I just read through Shep Payne's B-17 crash landed thing that came with the early Monogram B-17s. Damned, that is art. Diorama NOT required for the GB, but optional.
My first scratch mod model was a 1/25th P-51-B damaged. It was nicked so I would have to find a cheap old incomplete Revell kit!
6) More PTO focused GB
There were a few GB's, 2, 21 & 41 as PTO builds.
7) CBI focused GB
Non so far for the CBI campaign. My father was a mud soldier Tech Sgt. Had many health difficulties to remind him he was there.
8) Japanese birds only GB.
Non so far as a build category.

That's my ideas for now.
Sound ideas.
perhaps GB by nanufacturer? Nah, silly idea.
My 2 cents worth!

On a more serious note how about conflict group builds ?

we'd have to pick pretty major conflicts like Korea, Vietnam etc or even bunch them up like 50's and 60's conflicts or 70's & 80's that way those with kits that cover minor skirmishes like suez etc have more options ?

Perhaps rotary-wing aircraft of WWII?

This could include auto-gyros and wouldn't have to be ones used operationally, though a good number of rotary-wing types were.
Not to be a party pooper, but, how many kits are out there? How many kits have EVER been done? I think it would possibly have intrest if there were any kits. It might make a side split build but whirrly birds kits start really coming into being for Vietnam. Just one or two Korea. But a helicopter build open season would make more sense. My not so humble opinion.

The Japanese operated an Autogyro, the Kayaba Ka-1 and Ka-2 - both appear available in 1/48 scale.
The Germans operated the Focke-Achgelis Fa223 - it's available in a variety of scales.
Same for the Flettner Fl282, which is available in several scales.
The Fa330 is available in various scales, it was an auotogyro used by the Kreigsmarine.
The WNF342 autogyro only had four prototypes, none were used operationally, but kits are available for it.

The US, Britain, Soviet Union and Canada all had either Autogyros, Helicopters or both - there seems to be quite a few kits available, even for the experimental types.

*edit* Just did a quick check on the Soviet types available and I found kits for the KSKR-2 and the Kamov A-7-3a and A-7bis.

Last edited:
The Japanese operated an Autogyro, the Kayaba Ka-1 and Ka-2 - both appear available in 1/48 scale.
The Germans operated the Focke-Achgelis Fa223 - it's available in a variety of scales.
Same for the Flettner Fl282, which is available in several scales.
The Fa330 is available in various scales, it was an auotogyro used by the Kreigsmarine.
The WNF342 autogyro only had four prototypes, none were used operationally, but kits are available for it.

The US, Britain, Soviet Union and Canada all had either Autogyros, Helicopters or both - there seems to be quite a few kits available, even for the experimental types.

*edit* Just did a quick check on the Soviet types available and I found kits for the KSKR-2 and the Kamov A-7-3a and A-7bis.
I sit corrected.

The US was using the Sikorsky R-4 in the CBI, spring of '44 onward for ferrying parts and wounded.

The Kellet KD-1 was in use in the 1930's, both by the US Army and in the civil sector and was copied by Kayaba as the Ka-GO.

So while these noisey things weren't as prevalent in WWII as they were in Korea (and later), they were there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back