GB-54 1:72 DH.89B Dominie - Pacific Theatre

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Colonel
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
Username: A4K
First Name: Evan
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1:72
Manufacturer: Tasman Models # UG2003
Model: De Havilland DH.89A Dragon Rapide
Extras:
Kuivalainen #KPE 72032: DH-89 Dragon Rapide
SBS #72051: DH.89 Dragon Rapide Rigging Set

-----------------------------------------------------

I try again..!

Subject aircraft will be De Havilland DH.89B Dominie NZ523 of the RNZAF Communications Flight, based in Fiji from November 1943 - November 1945.

The kit itself is one of the Tasman Models reboxings of the Heller kit, with Heller plastic, Falcon Clear vax canopy, white metal instrument panel and rigging wire, though the last two will be replaced by the accessory sets mentioned above.
The markings included in this kit are for DH.89A NZ555, also based in Fiji, but I will be using the markings for NZ523 from Tasman's kit #UG2001.

First pics: the kit.

STA57178.JPG
STA57182.JPG
STA57183.JPG

Cheers guys, and nice pics Wojtku!

This is my subject, NZ523:

NZ523.jpg

Source: AirHistory.net

Modeller's Note: NZ523 has the last port side window deleted (kit window needs filling and smoothing), and the top of the canopy, usually heavily tinted for sun protection, has in this case been painted over with aluminium paint. She also carries an unusual form of the RNZAF pacific roundel, with elongated US-style bars.

Cut out the entry door today, as per above photo, and filling all the injector pin marks.
Also filling all the kit main-plane rigging holes, as they are 'all too large and mostly in the wrong places' according to the SBS rigging set instructions - correctly, judging by photos studied. New 0.4 mm holes will be drilled in appropriate locations when filling and sanding is sorted.

I also found out the internal cabin layout from one of New Zealand's leading aviation authorities, David Duxbury (this guy is a legend in NZ aviation history circles!): standard civilian style passenger seating - perfect!

Pics up when I'm done with the sanding 🤠

Users who are viewing this thread

Back