GB-54 1:72 DH.89B Dominie - Pacific Theatre

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey guys!

Sorry for lack of progress here so far, as usual modelling time is very limited!

I have filled the wings and fuselage, but spent ALOT of time trying to resolve a few detail issues. These include:

1. Props - need replacing altogether. The props from the Frog/Novo Airspeed Oxford kit are perfect in size and shape, but you need to scratchbuild a spinner. The best match for that shape seems to be the unusual noses of some 1:48 drop tanks I bought in an E-Bay job-lot once, if I can just blend the two nicely...
The best solution was a surprise discovery though - checking an Eastern Express (Frog) Miles Magister for it's wheels, and finding the one-piece prop and spinner are an almost perfect match! Some slight thinning and reshaping to the blade profile and a backplate for the spinner should make a very passable Dominie prop. To get the second prop, I bidded on E-Bay for a Novo Magister (also ex-Frog), which luckily I won tonight. (The kits will not be wasted of course - the kids will get one each, with the Heller Dominie props )

2. Wheels - position in spats is a little too high/ deep. Working out if it's better to a) remove the pin (moulded into one half of the spat) and reposition it (would need to be a stong joint), b) remove the pin and scratchbuild the u/c legs like the real thing to get the right depth (attachment into the curved upper nacelle poses it's own problems), or c) go for optical illusion and keep the pins in place, replacing the wheels with some with a slightly larger hub which shows more outside the spat. Regarding the last option, using the kit photo sheet as a guide, I discovered the Italeri F-51D Mustang wheels were almost ideal, right down to the tread pattern - till I read the caption comment that the wheels of the subject aircraft (ZK-AKY, which I have personally flown in!) are not standard. Bugger! So still playing with options there.

3. Cockpit floor and seats - the cockpit floor is fine, but the legs of the seats are very thick. This probably isn't an issue unless you've opened the bloody door like I have. This means the seat legs need replacing and extra leg bracing scratchbuilt, and the big holes in the cockpit floor filled.
Trying to be sneaky, I thought I could just glue an extremely thin sheet of styrene over the floor to cover the holes, and drill them out smaller for the new thinner legs by turning it over and using the unfilled holes a a guide. In theory, great. In practice, the sheet styrene is too thin to handle the glue and buckles. 3 attempts and 3 different glues (including PVA) produced the same effect. May have to just fill them after all, but I am suss on drilling into the filler. Another option is to just fill the holes, glue the seats in place, and hope like hell they don't come loose. Don't trust that though...

So those are my main little dilemmas at moment with the kit. If anyone has any brainwaves on how to solve them, I am all ears!

Cheers, and apologies for keeping yas all waiting again!
Evan

Trials and tribulations Evan. Re item 3, looking at the holes (18 May post) is it possible to plug them with a bit of plastic rod then trim and file back to the floor level. To position the new seat leg holes, mark the leg bases with a dark powder or graphite if you have it and position them so they leave a mark where drilling is required. Making the new legs in this scale may also be a bit of a problem, make them to thin and you have a weakness, little lengths of metal rod could solve this and the accuracy of length would not be a big issue as the ends would be in the holes.
With item 2, maybe do the (a) option and reposition but drill housing on both sides of the spat and again use a metal rod, take it through the wheel and fit into a apposing housing.
That's my two cents worth, hope it helps.

Hi Evan, great little project. Here's some piccies that might help. I have quite a few of 'AKY, I went for a flight in her late last year. I got plenny more pics if you need, just give us a holla.

The wheel issue shouldn't be too much of an issue, if you don't want the wheels to turn, you can just cement them in the right place using the calibrated eyeball as reference. At that scale it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

DSC_0920

Your seat issue is gonna be a sticky one, this is what you have to replicate in 72 scale; good luck with that.

DSC_2088

Don't forget those little details, like the non-slip pad on the wing trailing edge.

DSC_2085

I also noticed the kit door glazing is different to the aircraft in the picture you posted, which is like AKY's.

DSC_2086

Prop is a metal jobbie with a cap on it.

DSC_2071

Don't forget this wee guy as well.

DSC_2072

Some other detail if you're feeling adventurous.

DSC_2095

DSC_2695

No time for pics, but cabin floor holes have been filled, and u/c pins removed and new metal ones added in correct locations. Cheers again Vic!
Rigging holes drilled in correct size and locations on wings too.

Off to Dublin tomorrow, so will try to post pics next weekend when I'm back.

Have a safe trip.

Believe airports a quite chaotic with lack of staff, long queues and frustrated travellers. Result of Covid redundancies, lack of foresight and ensuring profits not effected.

If Gerry hasn't fixed it by now, I have no chance Andy

How long are you here for? Be great to catch up if poss!
Touring the south between Aug 7 and 13 then free in Dublin til the 17th. We head up to Belfast for a day as well. Yeah it would be great if I can buy you a pint!

Users who are viewing this thread