GB-55 1/48 B-25D-1 Mitchell - MTO III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

.... So these are profound matters one can not just finalize in a month, aren't they?
This being said, a GB is like a beer after work: you like it very much but you have to stop drinking and go back home and have a good night sleep before tomorrow's work.
A single build is like a single malt (whiskey) with friends in a bar: the longer you drink, the better you feel. And you can repeat the same ritual as many times you want.
Cheers!

Profound indeed! These discoveries could change the course of mankind's inevitable decline!

Easy on the hard stuff there Yves. You're getting a bit too philosophical for me now!

Andy, the "humble" modeler

Thanks guys. I flew back on Friday and dodged a big snow storm that would have left me stranded 150km form the airport. Now I need to get over this cold that I brought with me. That, along with continuing work on our Mosquito and some Hurricane engine reassembly happening on Wednesday are making my bench time rare but I do plan to continue with this build when I can. There's been so much help from the forum on this that it would be a shame not to see it through.

So, given that I'm no longer working to a deadline, I thought I'd please Yves CATCH 22 CATCH 22 by adding the side armour to the cockpit seats today:

22112002.jpg
22112001.jpg

One reason I had a hard time getting back to sleep after walking up at 3:45 am was because I was think about how I'm going to scratch build these frickin' flame dampers:
I'll share my thoughts about this detail even if I don't have an answer yet. Through the years I've been collecting information about the modelling of different B-25 versions from forums, magazines and books. There are many good hints and ideas (some of which I already posted) but there are also many unfinished builds or preparations for builds, giving us at least the beginning of something valuable.
A. One important thing about the finger stacks: they could be cut off depending on the use of the a/c. Please check the instructions below (under b.), taken from the same manual I've been quoting all the time resp. using for photos and schemes. This could be a solution to make the block of flame suppressors (3 or 4) without the rounded end/edge.
CiSZZRR.jpg

B. I came to the point that producing a block of stacks (4 and from them 3) is probably the only way, rather than making single stacks and gluing them together. The "box" of stacks could be flat on the outside in the beginning - the separating gaps will be scratched at the end.
The question (without answer for now) is: what product can offer longitudinal channels/chambers for keeping some tiny cylinders. The one thing I found is a box for graphite leads for mechanical pencils:
Le1yoma.jpg

I have 3 types (the above one is the smallest) but unfortunately they cannot be used for a 1/48 model (probably for a 1/32 one). The very small leads (0.5 or 0.7mm) have different boxes and cannot be used.
Searching in this direction might be of help. There are some containers for needles (or similar devices) with the same ribbed bottom, which can give some starting material.
C. An easier way of doing it could be scratch-building stacks without inner channels/tubes. One can use a thick piece of plastic (or 2-3 thinner layers glued together), scratch the longitudinal gaps and drill the ends in the same manner we do it with the exhaust of a Bf 109E e.g., the latter being rectangular and not circular. I haven't tried this method but came to it when modelling a new stack for a Messerschmitt out of flat plastic.
I guess when more people think of similar devices or materials, one might be the lucky winner.
Cheers!

Thanks guys. Yves, the fact that these might have been cut would make life easier - a bit. Option B is not something I thought of and I will explore further. Option C - yes that was one option that came to mind. I also looked at https://www.albionhobbies.com/wp-content/uploads/AA-Precision-Metals-2020.pdf for the potential of using metal tube or channel but I need to sit down and calculate the dimensions of the individual stacks to see if this option is viable. The search continues.

That alloy square tubing if cut at correct angle and stuck onto a backing card or strip that's not advisable could be the go. Fiddly, but then again your the man with all the skills. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back