GB-57 1/48 Mustang Mk. IV - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm still fearing the airbrush Don. It takes me a minimum of two days staring before I bite the bullet and spray. You're progressing nicely
My biggest fear using the airbrush was Cleaning the gd thing.
Now that I am using SMS paint, Aussie made lacquer, cleaning is so quick.
Swish all the parts thru common lacquer thing and BAM, ready to go again.
I suppose it would be the same for Tamiya bottled Lacquers, but SMS is ready to go!
Tamya rattle cans are quick as well, with No cleanup.

I'm like you Bill, airbrush over, quick swish of brush and needle with thinners and were ready for the next bash. If SMS do not have the colour I need, then I go for Vallejo Air or if hand painting its Tamiya. Having transgressed to acrylic over the last couple of builds, I've still got my old enamels to fall back on if need be. :D

Last edited:
Doing good Don.
Regarding the prop - as far as I know, all Mustang MkIV's were the P-51K, which had the un-cuffed Aeroproducts prop.
The HS prop in the kit can easily be re-shaped to suit.

Doing good Don.
Regarding the prop - as far as I know, all Mustang MkIV's were the P-51K, which had the un-cuffed Aeroproducts prop.
The HS prop in the kit can easily be re-shaped to suit.
Quite offten the AP was swapped in the field due to it's constant problems, was that not true on the MkIV's?

Either way the kit comes with three different props and both canopies to do D or K and I have both the D and K so I just pulled the areo prop and will use it..... Good call and catch thanks...

Well now.......

Clear coat
2023-04-11_13-38-50_448.jpeg

Wing decals....
2023-04-11_14-06-06_024.jpeg

TOO FU#K!n& large!!!!!!!!!!
2023-04-11_14-06-15_497.jpeg

These would darn near fit a 32 scale, Searching stache for something that will work.
2023-04-11_14-18-14_455.jpeg
2023-04-11_14-18-18_772.jpeg

I donna know, maybe?

Huh ? :oops:

Don, Does the decals come ffrom the Euro Decals sheet ? :oops:
According to the book "Polish Mustang Units", the RAF National Insignias worn by Mustangs are in dimensions:
- 36" type C1 fuselage (for your model)
- 32" or 40" type B upper wing
- 32" type B lower wing
- 40" type C upper wing (for your model)
- 32" type C lower wing (for your model)
The center of the upper wing and lower wing insignias placed at 33,5" from the wing tip splice (or 15'.6" from the axe of the aircraft) and 24" from the joint of the ailerons/landing flaps

Don't you have some of them in your spare box ?

Huh ? :oops:

Don, Does the decals come ffrom the Euro Decals sheet ? :oops:
According to the book "Polish Mustang Units", the RAF National Insignias worn by Mustangs are in dimensions:
- 36" type C1 fuselage (for your model)
- 32" or 40" type B upper wing
- 32" type B lower wing
- 40" type C upper wing (for your model)
- 32" type C lower wing (for your model)
The center of the upper wing and lower wing insignias placed at 33,5" from the wing tip splice (or 15'.6" from the axe of the aircraft) and 24" from the joint of the ailerons/landing flaps

Don't you have some of them in your spare box ?
No I'm having to try and find correct sized from what I have in other kits, but the insignias are different. No white in the rondels

Well now.......

Clear coat
View attachment 715625
Wing decals....
View attachment 715626
TOO FU#K!n& large!!!!!!!!!!
View attachment 715627
These would darn near fit a 32 scale, Searching stache for something that will work.
View attachment 715628View attachment 715629
I donna know, maybe?
The one with white stripe goes Under the wing.
The white was not used on top for lack of visibility from the air.
Was kept on lower surface For visibility from the ground.
And in actual fact smaller O.D. for Mustangs.

The one with white stripe goes Under the wing.
The white was not used on top for lack of visibility from the air.
Was kept on lower surface For visibility from the ground.
And in actual fact smaller O.D. for Mustangs.
Going by the decal sheet is what I have to work with. Late war SA Air Force so if what you're saying is correct than I could steal from a spit kit as all had the marks you call for.

It's what I found doing my Mustang in RAF markings.
Couldn't steal from RAF Spitfires to mark it.
My custom ones are on their way from the states.

It can be noticed in the pic on the first page of the thread that the GL-N had the C type roundel on the wing tops used in 1945 and while after the end of the war. It was quite large marking. The same roundel type was applied on the undersides but of a smaller diameter. The fuslage one was of the C1 variant. All dimensions for the markings and the location like Steph said. All that can be found in the pics below.

- 36" type C1 fuselage
- 40" type C upper wing
- 32" type C lower wing

must 3031.jpg

must 3030.jpg

must3035.jpg

must3036.jpg

must 3032.jpg

must 3033.jpg

the pic source: the net.

It can be noticed in the pic on the first page of the thread that the GL-N had the C type roundel on the wing tops used in 1945 and while after the end of the war. It was quite large marking. The same roundel type was applied on the undersides but of a smaller diameter. The fuslage one was of the C1 variant. All dimensions for the markings and the location like Steph said. All that can be found in the pics below.

- 36" type C1 fuselage
- 40" type C upper wing
- 32" type C lower wing

View attachment 715660

View attachment 715661

View attachment 715666

View attachment 715671

View attachment 715662

View attachment 715663
the pic source: the net.
Problem is, these go from wing front to over half of the aliron. It should go from just behind the leading edge to just kissing the cut to the aliron. And it is late war 1945 time frame Itialy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back