**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 USAAF Spitfire Mk.Vb - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
User name: N4521U
First name: Bill
Category: Confused Advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya #6103?
Model type: Mk.Vb-Trop Spitfire (should be a V?)
Extras:
Yes........... Scratch, without a doubt, especially inside the cockpit.
Custom decals, because the aftermarket ones were to Perfect. These American flags were done by hand
and never in the same place.... Yanks. Fabric seatbelts, they were in my stash. 3D I.P. I got a long time ago. Maybe some PE, and whatever I can find in spares.

These markings were unique to say the least!
57-1x1.jpg

57-1x2.jpg57-1x4.jpg
57-1x3.jpg
I know............... another TWO entries, best intentions of one at a time!

Last edited:
Well guys..................
This is what happens when the builder knows little about variant aircraft.
First thing is, I kept reading Mk,Vb............ then I discovered it is actually a Mk.Vc!
So what could be the difference? Too much..... wing blister, cannon barrel, prop, etc.
Just little stuff, right?
I have Two Mk.IX's and have no idea what I will do with One. Perhaps the next lot of GB's.
D A N G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First thing is, I kept reading Mk,Vb............ then I discovered it is actually a Mk.Vc!
So what could be the difference? Too much..... wing blister, cannon barrel, prop, etc.
I have Two Mk.IX's and have no idea what I will do with One. Perhaps the next lot of GB's.
Breathe Mr. Bill, breathe, deep breath there sir, there is always a way.

Where did you get the info from that it's the Vc, Bill?

In fact the entire ER series is mentioned as the Vb/Vc. The ER570 belonged to the first five batches so I would say that's Mk.Vb.
spit-serials-jpg-jpg.jpg

er series.jpg

All known pics of the kite indicate the Mk.Vb,. You may notice the narrow prop blades of the De Havilland Hydromatic prop but not the wider (more massive) of the Rotol one. See all the shots below. A couple of sources states Mk.Vb trop what indictes the Vokes filter correctly. Unfortunately the first profile below presents the Rotol propeller associated with Mk.Vc mostly what makes all that confusing. Certainly it is an author's mistake for the particular profile although both propellers were used for the Mk.Vb and Vc. The second profile states it was the Mk.Vc and the the end cap for the outer cannon can be noticed. Contrary to that the first profile doesn't show it. Also the pious hope of the author IMHO.
The main detail that says us that's the B wing is the wing blister over the cannon compartment that is of the narrow type and a small one next to it . Also I can't see the end cap for the outer cannon wing slot. And this indicates it is not the Mk.Vc Spitfire.

Spitfire-VbTrop-USAAF-12AF-52FG4FS-WDQ-Maj-Robert-Levine-ER570-(MACAF)-La-Sers-Tunisia-Aug-194...jpg

Spitfire-VbTrop-USAAF-12AF-52FG4FS-WDQ-Maj-Robert-Levine-ER570-(MACAF)-La-Sers-Tunisia-Aug-194...jpg

Spitfire-MkVbTrop-USAAF-52FG4FS-WDQ-Robert-Levine-ER570-Tunisia-1943-03.jpg

the source the net.

I agree.

BTW ... the Tamiya #61035 provides the correct wing for the Mk.Vb version both for the standard F variant and the LF plane. The cannon blisters both on tops and undersides are correct for the B variant of the wing. The only trouble for the particular kite is the lack of the De Havilland propeller and its spinner. The part set coming with the kit is for the Rotol one.

1155_1_tam61035_3a.jpg

1155_1_tam61035_3c.jpg

1155_1_tam61035_3b.jpg

The helpful for the prop may be the Quickboost 48626 or just reshaping of the kit one.
Quickboost 48626.jpg

Well now............. what a bunch of dudes you arrrrrrrrr!
I do just get the Heeby Jeebies when I am building.
Perhaps it's why I take so long researching.
It sure looked like a Vc wings from the rear quarter view.

However what started me looking Again, there is no TROPO
nose in my kit!!!!! This kit is 61033, the other build was 61035!
All I have in my Spares is one of the Carpy bottom feeder
lemon sucking intakes! Not the intake under the spinner type.

Thanks guys.
I'll be reshaping them blades.

Bill, I think I have a couple of old Airfix Spit MkV trop filters in one of my spares boxes if you want one. It should fit reasonably well, but may need a bit of filler here and there. Let me know if you want it.
BTW, the DH prop had a different spinner to the more pointed Rotol prop spinner in the kit. I may have one, which again is yours if you want it, otherwise you'd need to use an aftermarket prop.

This kit is 61033, the other build was 61035!

But in the first post you wrote the Tamiya #61035. Anyway you are right. The Tamiya #61033 doesn't contain the Vokes filter. So Terry's offer sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back