GB-59 1/72 Mitsubishi Ki-15 'Babs' - WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Re the engine. Yeah, it's kind of small, and I don't know how much I can physically do to it. We'll see.
And speaking of which, in the diagram posted, the ignition wires are shown connected to the right of the cylinder, while that museum example has them on the left... does anyone know which is correct? (I have been unable to find a photo of Babs showing the engine in place clearly)

As memo serves the engine for the Ki-15-I "Babs" was the Nakajima NAP (Ha-8) but not the Nakajima Hikari 3. In the pic below it can be noticed that there were two cables going to the two ignition plugs. One cable was going from back of each of the engine cylinders to the right spark plug while the second one was going from bottom to the left one. What is more the wire coming form the back was running in front of the tappets for the Nakajima Kotobuki III engine used for the Babs prototype. The Ki-15-II was powered by the Mitsubishi Ha-25-I engine. The Navy C5M1 was the improved Ki-15-I while the C5M2 was the the C5M1 with the
Nakajima NK1 Sakae powerplant.

h8.jpg

h8_mod.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Certainly the photos of the original are muach better than the shots of a model. But I included these as an example of the cables. However in case of the Babs it may be a problem because there was used many of engine types. So all depends on the version of the plane. I mean the Navy or Army, etc ...

A4K A4K .. Evan... IMHO I know why there is the difference in the ingnition wires seen in the pic and the diagram. The diagram shows the Nakajima Ha-8 engine while the one seen in the pics is the Nakajima Hikari 3. So these are the two different units.

You're right my friend. The kit dosen't specify the version either, though I believe it's meant to be a Ki-15-I. It definitely dosen't have the straight A6M- type cowl I would associate with the Ki-15-II and C5M2 (based on my research so far - though I'm no expert). If anyone can confirm or deny, I would appreciate it.

Painting my daughter's room now, but will post pics of decal options and photos/ profiles I'm interested in later.

EDIT: your post arrived while I was typing my friend. I think you may be right, and will probably go the drawing version, unless pics come to light proving otherwise.

Finally had a chance to sit down and scan what pictures of the engine I could find in the book. I also scanned some color schemes that might be of interest to you. All illustrations are from the excellent book Mitsubishi Babs vol.I by Showzow Abe and Giuseppe Picarella.

Attachments

• engine shot 1.png
    engine shot 1.png
    247.9 KB · Views: 14
  • engine shot 2.png
    engine shot 2.png
    243.4 KB · Views: 12
  • engine shot 3.png
    engine shot 3.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 14
  • engine shot 4.png
    engine shot 4.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 17
  • scheme 1.png
    scheme 1.png
    164 KB · Views: 15
  • scheme 2.png
    scheme 2.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 14
  • actual aircraft in flight.png
    actual aircraft in flight.png
    248.8 KB · Views: 17
  • scheme 12.png
    scheme 12.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 14
  • scheme 10.png
    scheme 10.png
    216.8 KB · Views: 14
  • scheme 9.png
    scheme 9.png
    258.6 KB · Views: 14
  • scheme 8.png
    scheme 8.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 14
Cheers guys!

There are some colourful schemes (I like the mottled Ki-15-II, hell of a job in 1:72 though, as Wayne said!), though to be honest, I love the clean look of the Light Grey airframe with Blue- Black cowls and red markings... brings out the beautiful lines of the design, and just looks 'classic Japanese' to me :)

Further...

Made a dogs dinner of the cylinder scribing sadly, will try to clean that up.
Quickly filed the cylinder heads closer to true shape. Might refine them further, though the ends won't be seen once the cowl is on.
Carved down the edges of the two side inlets, to make that 'pie dish' shape they had.
Everything needs cleaning up/ refining before fitting of ignition leads.

As she stands:
20230813_110524.jpg

Cheers Andy. I'm not happy with the cylinders, so will probably replace them with some from a spare Pratt & Whitney R-1830 engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back