GB-61 1/48 Vought AU-1 Corsair – Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Hasegawa AU-1 Corsair
Scale: 1/48th
Accessories: None at this time

The AU-1 was the last of the Corsairs, first produced in 1952, serving in the Korean war and being retired in 1957. It was developed from the F4U-5 and was a ground-attack version made for the U.S. Marine Corps with extra armor to protect the pilot and fuel tanks, a simplified single stage, manually controlled supercharger due to its anticipated low-level operation, and extra racks to carry more underwing ordinance. A fully combat loaded AU-1 would weigh 20% more than a fully loaded F4U-4.

I will be building AU-1 Corsair BuNo-129378 used by the Marines as seen at NAS Quantico in the late '50s. These were the last of the U.S. operated Corsairs.

I've found my first disappointment with this kit, and I have not even started cutting plastic yet.
The AU-1 could carry a whole lot of under-wing stores. On the inner racks it could carry either 2-500lb and 1-1000lb bomb, or 2 fuel tanks. On the outer pylons it could carry either 10-5in rockets, 10-250lb bombs or 6-500lb bombs. The trouble is that the kit only comes with the rockets, 2 fuel tanks and 2-500lb bombs. I guess I will be scouring through my spares boxes because I would love to load up those 10 outer-wing racks with 250s with the 500s and 1000 on the inner pylons as shown in the picture below. If not, I guess I'll settle for the rockets.

I managed to find all the bombs I will need 8-250lb, 2-500lb (although I will probably use the kit bombs) and 1-1000lb. One of the 250s does not quite match (gray) so I'll use those halves with halves that match (lone white) and use an extra tail fin (white) that match.

Also started the painting spraying the wheel well white and the cockpit chromite green

Users who are viewing this thread