GB-61 1/48 Vought AU-1 Corsair – Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Does anyone have a picture of the centerline bomb/drop tank pilon on the F4U-5 or AU-1?
I'm going to fabricate one but I'm finding it hard to see the shape of it in pictures because it's always in shadow. I've posted a clip from a painting of an AU-1 which gives me the shape at the front and the cut-out for the vent flap but I don't know what the rear of the pilon looks like. I seem to remember seeing a picture somewhere that it was rounded similar to the front but I can not find a picture of it.
The second picture is the best one I have been able to find and you can see it is not great,

cbl1.jpg
cbl2.jpg

Thanks to the picture Wojtek posted I've made a centerline pylon. First picture is what I started with, 3 pieces of plastic sheet I glued together. The second picture is the finished pylon after a lot of carving, filing and sanding.

20240315_160143.jpg
20240315_165531.jpg

I started glueing up all the bombs and realized I was short a couple of 250lb bombs for the full loadout I wanted. (5 250s on each outer wing, a 1000 pounder on the center rack and a 500 on each inner wing pylons)
The AU-1 had 5 pylons on each outer wing which could carry either a 250 pounder on each pylon or 3 500 pounders leaving every other pylon empty due to space limitations between the pylons. Since I'm short 2 250s and have 2 extra 500s I'm thinking that I'll mount one 500 on each inner most outer wing pylon, leaving the second pylon empty and put 250 on the 3 outer pylons. That is if I can't find another couple of 250s.
I hope this wasn't too confusing. Here's what it would look like, more or less.

20240315_181138.jpg

I've got these in the spares box from a bundle of parts I bought, Glenn. Any good to you?
Width: 10 mm, total length: 37 mm.
Great job on the rack too.
20240316_142353.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back