GB-61 1/72 Aichi M6A1 Seiran - Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well so much for not much were and tear. Turned out a little extreme. Not only does the paint not stick to the glue, it doesn't stick too good to the underlying silver paint. Not sure at this point if I'll re-do them. I kind of like how they look.

A6M1 (14)r.jpg

Well I started out trying to mask the canopy but the frames are so fine they wouldn't show through the tape and there's so many panels to do. I painted it by hand which it would appear is a lot steadier than I thought. A few glitches I can clean up later. Good practice holding my breath too, I didn't end up passing out. Now ready for paint.

A6M1 (15)r.jpg

A6M1 (16)r.jpg

Painting. I started with some pre shading using Krylon flat black, through my air brush Then a coat of Mr Colour super chrome. Then I used AKAcrylic laquer for the colour coat. It's one of those Bob Ross happy mistakes. The AK does not stick super well to the Mr Colour. I can use a tooth pick to pick bits of the paint away to reveal the silver. This explains why so much paint came off the floats with the masking tape. For wings and fuselage which I painted separately I used salt as a mask. The over all effect is a lot more dramatic than I had planned. I don't think these planes saw a lot of flight time but I could be wrong. I think they were purpose built for the submarine missions only.

A6M1 (21)r.jpg

A6M1 (22)r.jpg

A6M1 (23)r.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back