GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXC "Beer Delivery" - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bakelite was what I was trying to think off, I remember it still being used in the early 60s as an insulation material on RAF bases.
On my first entry (in this GB62) I did finish the plate the 'bakelite' color. Just wondering, if on some, the plate was painted in the camo colors as is depicted in the instructions for this one?

On my first entry (in this GB62) I did finish the plate the 'bakelite' color. Just wondering, if on some, the plate was painted in the camo colors as is depicted in the instructions for this one?

To be honest it is quite difficult to state if the base was unpainted or not. In many pictures it can be noticed that it wasn't. But there are images in which it looks like painted. Here is a part o f the well know shot of the Castle Bromwich factory "parking" with finished Mk.IXs I cut out the closest plane. IMHO either the base was painted or made of the material of a close colour tone to the Ocean Grey paint. The other kites standing there look similar.

Basicly the dark tone of the base can be found though on the other Spits used .

But it looks like the maintenace crews could overpainted it though ...

and here a shot of the MU Spitfires at RAF 156 Maintenance Unit Blida Algeria 1944 ... the foreground one reveal that it could be painted

the pic sourcer: Supermarine Spitfire

I think I'll go with inst illustration and leave it camoed. Funny though, the last picture posted, has the crew brush painting the stripes, no masking. And to think of all the effort I put into trying to get that 'perfect' line

IMHO it won't be a significant mistake if leaved in the camo colour. Regarding the D-day strips .. yes these were applied in a hurry and the maintenace crews used a block paintbrush or just the ordinary brush often.

Two more shots of Mk.IX on assembling lines.

the source: the net.

I must admit the base of the antenna colour was not something I noticed until Geo pointed it out. I could see it being left unpainted from the factory, depending on when the antenna mast was installed, but am of the opinion that aircraft that were repainted may well have had the plates painted over unless there was a technical reason not to paint them. Judging by the photos Wojtek posted, it would appear that overpainting was common.

Ralph, if you can confirm what numbers you need, I can have a look. I have lots of left over s/n decals.

Users who are viewing this thread