Geedee and Rocketeers Collings Foundation Tour 2014

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lovely pix Gary.....not sure if I should start posting again!!! Hard act to follow dude!

Last edited:
Well, here we go....it was fantastic fun. We loaded the PX into the bomb bay of 909. Then into the Stang. What followed was the first of two of the best days of my life. Mark and I followed Witchcraft out of the ramp and taxied towards the threshold. Once there, the B24 ran up, mag drops etc. We followed suit, I helped Mark on the brakes to stop creep.
During our engine run, 909 caught up and joined in with the 'sound of freedom'!!
The B24 lined up and applied takeoff power, it accelerated like a startled fly leaving a cow pat. We lined up shortly after and Mark held the aircraft against the brakes. Once separation was sufficient, and the B24 hd become airborne, Mark opened up and we accelerated down the runway. The wheels left the ground, positive rate of climb, over threshold gear up. The power was then reduced as obviously we could catch up quickly (even with fat tony in the back!).

The sight of a stunning, unique B24 growing larger and large in your 11 oclock is awesome, especially when you are in a Mustang - let alone a totally unique Mustang. I don't use the word awesome lightly - but quite honestly it was awesome! The best fun you can have without taking your clothes off!

We did some lovely close formation work with Mark's precision flying. It is fair to say that the Collings Foundation use some of the best warbird pilots there are around. They are also very friendly. Anyway, back to fun times....Gary was clearly visible looking like a dalek in the starboard waist position with his go-pro on his bonce!!
We did some steep turnaways and turnbacks and re-joins. Plenty of opportunity to take great pix. Giving Gaz the time to take some great shots of us and the P51 over West Point. Cracking!!
We then went off and did some cool aeros followed by a run and break at Poughkeepsie - as we prepped/dirtied up for landing we espied the B17 on turn to short finals. I could describe more of the flight but dont wish to bore!

If ever you decide to donate to get a flight in a Stang - go for the CF - you wont regret it! Additionally, you lucky peeps in the US can do it as a tax deductible. So you can awesome fun, help a great cause and get it deductible!

Anyway, I have bored you enough, here are some pix!

Please forgive my knees!!! On the third before last pic look out for the B17!!

Attachments

• MM1.jpg
    MM1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 80
  • MM2.jpg
    MM2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 63
  • MM3.jpg
    MM3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 72
  • MM4.jpg
    MM4.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 75
  • MM5.jpg
    MM5.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 72
  • MM6.jpg
    MM6.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 76
  • MM7.jpg
    MM7.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 61
  • MM8.jpg
    MM8.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 76
  • MM9.jpg
    MM9.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 64
  • MM10.jpg
    MM10.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 68
  • MM12.jpg
    MM12.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 74
  • MM13.jpg
    MM13.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 65
  • MM14.jpg
    MM14.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 76
  • MM15.jpg
    MM15.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 71
  • MM16.jpg
    MM16.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 74
  • MM17.jpg
    MM17.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 73
  • MM18.jpg
    MM18.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 71
  • MM19.jpg
    MM19.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 73
  • MM20.jpg
    MM20.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 63
I don't use the word "awesome" lightly either guys but it sure fits! Beautiful air-to-airs and videos. An unforgettable experience for both of you and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back