George Preddy's P-51D 'Cripes A'Mighty 3rd'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

44-13321 is a P-51D-5 so to be accurate you have to remove the 'strake' on the vertical stabilizer.

The Hasegawa kit of Kinnard's Man O War, QP-A is a P-51D-10, the first production D with the strake added at the factory.

Curiously 44-14293 (Kinnard's QPA) was the next P-51D in the NAA production line as my father's Jane II WRB 44-14292

option 2 - his Cripes V was P-51D 44-14906 which he scored some kills with on 2 and 21 November. It would still have a 'half fuselage stripe" in early November but none on upper wing... and have the strake as it was a P51D-10

Here you go H. Sorry the sketches are a bit rough - I couldn't find the pics of the harness itself, or find the actual lever-latch I have stashed away somewhere. But hopefully you'll get the idea.
Use the lead foil from the necks of wine bottles, or the thick foil from some packaging, such as some pain killer tablets etc. Kitchen foil is a bit too thin really, although if folded over and over, can sort of work to an extent. The sketches are not to scale, so you'll have to measure, or adjust by eye, to get the desired length of each strap. It's always better to cut them longer than needed, cutting the shape of the buckles at one end, then they can be trimmed to suit once you've sorted the length etc. Always glue the 'hidden' end first, that is, those behind and under the seat.
For the fastening buckles on the shoulder harness, once cut to shape, using a sharp scalpel, try to cut the slot into the buckle and, once draped into place, bend the vertical part of the buckle out, to give the correct shape. Don't expect to get it right first time - it takes a bit of practice, and even then it can still take a couple of attempts to make and fit the belts.
The B&W cockpit pics I have seem to have hidden themselves somewhere, and are refusing to reply to my gentle calls of where the %$£% are you! But here's a colour rendition which should do the job, taken from Osprey's 'P51 Vs FW190' book.

Attachments

• Buys 130.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Buys 131.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Buys 132.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 131
  • FW P51 COCKPITS 001.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 122
You're welcome H. Just keep this for reference, and it won't be long before you can make more than passable seat harnesses. If I can (almost) do it with my knackered hands, I'm sure you can!

Will try again tomorrow. Too little light and time. I just wanted to get the hang of it.

Here are all the parts on a first attempt. Trial and error baby, trial and error....

Will do it tomorrow.

Attachments

• 102_6364.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 119
And for $%^£$ sake don't take a deep breath! Looks great H, especially for a first attempt. Now the tricky bit is sticking them all together !

Users who are viewing this thread