RAF P-51 Mustang Mk1A

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

javlin

2nd Lieutenant
Nov 20, 2007
MS
I am in with the HobbyCraft 1/32 kit.It's a real simple kit and I have an aftermarket kit but it is for the b/c models and I understand that there is a big difference in the pit area so this may go the way of an OOB.

Attachments

• mark1a 003_edited (600 x 449).jpg
    mark1a 003_edited (600 x 449).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 453
  • mark1a 001_edited (600 x 374).jpg
    mark1a 001_edited (600 x 374).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 469
Nice one Kevin! Coincidentally, I've just been looking at the 1/48th scale kits of the Mustang 1, with a view to doing something in the future!
When you get sorted, can you post the entry details, including squadron etc?
Thanks.

Well as usual I cannot leave well enough alone I started looking at the aftermarket kit and the sides have alot of similarities.I go trying to find some shots of the P51A and the MK1's not much out there on the insides.These early Stangs were utilized as PRU's alot with a camera behind the pilot saet and I am thinking that there was no fuel tank there??I read on one site that the tank behind the seat was added on the B/C models so ........ any ideas from some one more familiar with the early MK's.The AM kit has the tank there but even B/C's in PR status would of had the tank.Kevin

Hi Kevin. The Mustang Mk1 did not have the fuseage tank. This was only introduced on the P51C, and then onto later production P51B's, also being retro-fitted to earlier B's in many cases (but not all).
The Mustang Mk 1 was not generally used by the PRU, but was used as a tactical recce aircraft, in standard Day Fighter camouflage scheme, normally in the low-level role, and also with Army Co-operation squadrons of the RAF.
Cameras were mounted behind the pilot's seat bulkhead, on the radio rack, facing port out of an additional 'porthole' built into the side window and, on some aircraft, also in the rear fuselage, again as an oblique mounting,facing port.
The normal armament was four Browning MG's, not the cannon.
I should be able to provide Squadron numbers, and probably pics, if you need them.

Here a few I have found via the Net. Source unknown.

Attachments

• P-51 camera.jpg
    P-51 camera.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 771
  • p51_UXV.jpg
    p51_UXV.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 494
  • P51Mustang_MkI_2Sqn_SXV_al995.jpg
    P51Mustang_MkI_2Sqn_SXV_al995.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 488
  • P51Mustang_2Sqn_FXV_ag693.jpg
    P51Mustang_2Sqn_FXV_ag693.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 444
  • P-51 Mustang III  coded M.jpg
    P-51 Mustang III coded M.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 628
  • Mustang_MkI Y 168sdn profile.jpg
    Mustang_MkI Y 168sdn profile.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 563
  • Mustang MkI 400sqd profile.jpg
    Mustang MkI 400sqd profile.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 581
Great stuff Wojtek! Saved me a bit of a hunt around, although I should have a colour pic or two somewhere which I can add.
The close-up pic of the camera mounting is particularly useful for Kevin, and for me for my Mustang III, as the mounting was virtually the same. Thanks mate!

You'r welcome Mate. :D

Here the profile of the Mustang Mk.I coded N I have found in an old booklet about P-51.

Attachments

• Mustang Mk II N 2 RAF Sqdn profile.jpg
    Mustang Mk II N 2 RAF Sqdn profile.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 461
Thks thier Terry and Wojtek for the info.The N code I actually have on the box art there Wojtek and I am thinking of that particular scheme.So I was kind of coming to that conclusion(tanks) and to keep it as authentic as possibile the floor board w/tank will not be utilized.The issue comes about in the manner of merging the two kits together.I shall prevail in some manner.Cheers Kevin

Thks thier Terry and Wojtek for the info.The N code I actually have on the box art there Wojtek and I am thinking of that particular scheme.So I was kind of coming to that conclusion(tanks) and to keep it as authentic as possibile the floor board w/tank will not be utilized.The issue comes about in the manner of merging the two kits together.I shall prevail in some manner.Cheers Kevin

You'r welcome. There is 1/72 scale N coded Mustang in my collection I made a few years ago.

You'r welcome. There is 1/72 scale N coded Mustang in my collection I made a few years ago.

That sounds interesting Wojtek you alt to throw a pic in.Cheers Kevin Who Dat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back