**** DONE: 1/48 Mosquito FB VI 617 Sqn RAF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks brill Jamie. Don't know if you've seen it (or got it!), but Osprey have just released a new volume on 617, including the 'Cheshire years' and the Mossie.

It's the inner side of the long range 'slipper' drop tank, mounted on the same station as the wing bomb rack used, and on the same wiring circuit! There were three sizes (can't remember capacity off-hand, but can check if you need it), and that one looks to be the middle size, the most common.

cheers terry a little research turned up 3 sizes 50,100,200 gallon the only 1 i can get in 1/48 scale is fortunately the middle one ie 100 gallon does that sound right to you

Definitely looks larger than the 50 gallon tank...I'd say either the 100 or 200 Jamie.

Looking forward to your progress too - you've prompted me to get a kiwi Mozzie in the cold war build, if it fits the build definition!

Yep, that's the one, 100 gallon. The 50 gallion was the early tank, and looked small, obviously. The 100 gallon looked 'in proportion', and was the most commonly seen tank (in photos anyway), whilst the 200 gallon looked huge and bloated in comparison. I've seen some resin tanks in the various sizes somewhere, can't remember where, but if you've got or can get the 100 gallon, go with that.

ok they are on the way should be here tomorow .i planned out where they will sit thanks to airframes and they sit right on the outsibe black stripe .Now my question is would they have been painted to blend with the stripe or just left in their ordinary colour and if so what is their ordinary colour

Yep, they should be on the same pick-up point as used for the extenal bomb pylons. As these were 'drop tanks', where they might be fitted, used and the aircraft return 'tank less', they would normally be in the same colour as the aircraft, that is Medium Sea Grey overall. I've only seen one photo of the tanks painted in the AEAF stripe colours - probably a case of 'If it stays still - paint it!' !! I've also seen an underside shot, where the tanks weren't in place, but their outline could be seen where the AEAF stripes had obviously been painted whilst the tanks were fitted.

decals done and dirtied it up a little lots of touch ups to do undercarriage is on still gots lots of little pieces to do but dont think it will be long now the slipper tanks are on and painted

ok further progress slipper tanks on and painted under carriage on decals done not many decals on this kit to be honest virtually no panel lines on the mossy at all so that was really easy dirtied up the areas around the guns and managed to break off 2 guns but i still have them so no problem putting them back on at the end

Attachments

• 100_0779.JPG
    100_0779.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_0780.JPG
    100_0780.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_0781.JPG
    100_0781.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_0782.JPG
    100_0782.JPG