**** DONE : 1/48th scale N.A. Mustang III, HB837, 541 Sqn, R.A.F., Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Andy and Karl.
Andy, overall, I thought the ICM kit was superb. I wouldn't be surprised if there's been some deal done with Tamiya, as the fuselage and wing are identical, although both lack locating pins. There were a few minor niggles, but nothing that can't very easily be taken care of, if the build is planned and checked as it proceeds. The detail parts are better than the Tamiya kit, including the cockpit fittings, which include two styles of seat and instrument panels for example. There are, like the Tamiya version, both canopy styles, but, unlike Tamiya, the framed version is offered in the closed position only. There is a choice of 'weighted' tyres or 'nomal', separate rear wheel doors, where the tamiya kit has them moulded 'open' and, in this issue, the bonus of the 'Air and Ground Crew' kit, at a cost of almost £5 less than the cost of the base Tamiya kit. I wasn't that happy with the adhesion of decals, but to be fare, I only used the ones for the prop - the larger ones might 'stick' better. All in all an excellent kit, and I'll certainly be getting a couple more.

Thanks Terry, missed following up on this thread. My ICM Spit IX is waiting in the wings and so far I've been impressed with what I saw. I bought some aftermarket decals to depict on of three options for Candain flown birds and will decide once I get around to the build.

Hi Terry, good work, a bit late to this but the ICM kit here is 25 dollars and the Tamiya is 21 dollars for the special blue noser version and 17 dollars for the normalyP-51B they offer.

Actually, it's more expensive. I knew it off the top of my head as I was converting off a British site once but I just checked and 12 pounds is about $17 US. No deals anywhere in this world lads :lol::cry:

Hi Terry, good work, a bit late to this but the ICM kit here is 25 dollars and the Tamiya is 21 dollars for the special blue noser version and 17 dollars for the normalyP-51B they offer.

Check EBay Harrison, there are at least 2 of the ICM kits going for less than 10$ and 5 going for less than 20$. No help on the Tamiya versions though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back