**** DONE: P-51B CAPT. CLARENCE "BUD" ANDERSON (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

here is an update on the mustang i've taped up the invasion stripes and sprayed on the black.also tried my hand at pre-shading i've never done this before so it will be interesting how it comes out.

Attachments

• invasion 1.jpg
    invasion 1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 118
  • invasion 2.jpg
    invasion 2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 116
  • invasion 3.jpg
    invasion 3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 123
here is another quick update on the build i have finished the neutral grey and the olive drab.

Attachments

• unmasked 1.jpg
    unmasked 1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 136
  • olive drab 2.jpg
    olive drab 2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 123
  • olive drab 1.jpg
    olive drab 1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 123
  • masked 2.jpg
    masked 2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 119
  • masked 1.jpg
    masked 1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 114
  • unmasked 2.jpg
    unmasked 2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 126
  • unmasked 3.jpg
    unmasked 3.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 138
here is some new pics on the build so far.I've put another coat on the tail section to help with the pre shading and i've got the photos in the wrong order.:oops:

PIC 1:i have painted the drop tanks with metalizer aluminium and buffed them with a motor tool.
PIC 2:painted the spinner yellow (red stripes to follow)
PIC 3:flaps on and landing gear.
PIC 4:another view.

Attachments

• upside down 1.jpg
    upside down 1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 165
  • wheels on 2.jpg
    wheels on 2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 161
  • wheels on 1.jpg
    wheels on 1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 164
  • drop tanks.jpg
    drop tanks.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 152
  • nose cone.jpg
    nose cone.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 157
Nice
Do you have a reference for the aircraft with the flaps down ? I would have thought that the invasion stripes would have been painted with the flaps up so would not show on the hinge line so this area would be OD

Very nice work, looking good so far.
Magnu is partly correct about the flaps - the 'hinge line' was not painted, and should be bare metal (not polished alloy, more a steel colour). You'll find two oval indentations on each hinge line, and these were open slots giving access to the hinge arms themselves. The 'silver' coloured drop tanks were the 'paper' ones, and were finished in a silver dope which, although sometimes exhibiting some shine, weren't highly polished or as bright as the metal 'tear drop' tanks (these could be bare metal, or silver painted. earlier versions were Neutral grey or Olive drab).
Those tanks which were the same shape as the 'paper' tanks, but painted Neutral Grey, were the metal 108 gallon variety. The 'at a glance' identification feature is the ribbed 'nose' of the tank - the metal tanks were smooth, the paper tanks had the reinforcing ribs.

It certainly does! Just thought I'd point it out re the flaps, as they can easily be popped out, re-painted and fitted back into the wing (the cement tends not to make contact with anything, and the flaps will almost clip in place).

thanks guys, hi mangu the reference photo is at the start of my thread for this build but it is only a side view and i have found no others.the kit only had the one type of drop tank but i have a few mustangs in the stash so i'll see what i can find.cheers!

No problem with the drop tanks, you're using the correct type. Generally, Fighter Groups used either the 108 gallon (metal or paper), or the 75 gallon 'tear drop' metal tanks, but rarely, if ever, both types. The two 'stripes' around the tank in your reference pic are the retaining bands, and these were normally a dull red colour, like a rust red or brick red.
Judging by the reflections and sheen on part of the airframe in the reference pic, it's probable that the aircraft had been waxed and polished (apart from the AEAF stripes), so maybe a semi-matt clear coat for the upper surfaces?

quick update on the build so far i have removed the flaps and painted the hinge silver and the drop tanks i've also done a coat of clear gloss before starting the decals.

Attachments

• nose masked and painted red.jpg
    nose masked and painted red.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 130
  • flaps removed and repainted.jpg
    flaps removed and repainted.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 117
  • droptanks repainted silver.jpg
    droptanks repainted silver.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 127
  • clear gloss on and start of decals.jpg
    clear gloss on and start of decals.jpg