**** DONE: 1/48 Fairy Swordfish of 816th Squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You did a great job mate,I hate painting white,a real pain.
Cheers,
Tony.

Thanks. I never hated it, until now! I think next time I might just buy a can of their white spray paint, decant it and use it instead.

More progress:

Applied the RLM Grey in a pattern on the main wings, the tail, and the top of the nose section.
Sword 213.JPG

Had another interesting issue. I had waited a number of hours for the white to dry before I applied the RLM Grey to the tail. This little splotch slowly appeared. Not an issue as I'll apply the darker Grey to cover this but obviously something has happened, I'm assuming a contamination or oil somehow got on it.
Sword Fin.JPG

First coat of the stripes on. Still need to do some touching up.
Swordfish paint.JPG

The curse of the white paint continues. Several thin coats were painted by hand waiting between each coat to dry. I can only assume I did not long enough between them.
Cracked Paint.JPG

Next step touch up the paint and attach the wings.

Hey looks great! That white paint does suck....Model Masters is the only one I've been very pleased with. Doin' good!!

That is looking great Dave, shame about the white paint, it's always a bug**r, I'm patiently waiting for some to dry myself after spending the last couple of days spraying bits. I'm intrigued at your biplane wing construction method, never thought of doing it like that and have always struggled with struts attachment first to the lower wing when it's attached to the fuselage.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Looking good David. White is always a problem, even with enamels, and especially brush-painting. With acrylics, it's virtually a no-go on small areas. White paint, any white paint, requires 'laying -off' fully, that is, brushing out as far as it will go, before the next stroke. With acrylics, this is virtually impossible, as it dries too quick. They might be ok for airbrush work, but still very much in their infancy for 'normal' brush work in modelling, and about 20% as effective, in terms of versatility, as enamels. The main problem is, they were designed for a 'quick fix', ease of use for quick drying, to help the inexperienced, and were developed from synthetic paints made for artists, as a substitute for oils. All very well circumventing the 'experience route', but not so good at covering evenly.

Thank you kindly!

Today put the rigging on the wings. The rigging is from the PE that Tamiya made specifically for their model. I have to say the PE looks much nicer then the old way I used to do it. I am curious to use the "Suger THread" that Matt keeps talking about.

Attachments

• Sword Rigging.JPG
    Sword Rigging.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 125
Wow Dave, that is neat rigging, it's not the easiest or the most likable of jobs at the best of times, well done mate.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back