**** DONE : 1/48 Hellcat Mk I JV-131 No 800 Squadron HMS Emperor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.

Found another great pic. Looks like my a/c "L" got bent at some point although I think it was repaired. There's a pic taken of an intact L number JV131 allegedly at the end of the war.

Also attached are a couple of shots of work on the landing gear. Before and after shots of the tail wheel show modifications made by drilling out the lightening holes, cutting the slot in the cover that separates the upper fixed portion and the lower swivel, drilling and adding a strut from copper wire, and finally the addition of a spring strut made from copper wire. The latter is loose at this point and will get another coat of bare metal before installing.

The final pic shows work on the main gear. First off, one of the criticisms of the Eduard kit is that the tires are too thin. Checking on a scale drawing revealed that they were indeed a millimeter too narrow so I glued a sheet of plastic card between the halves. To the right can be seen one of the assembled struts with the brake line being added from stretched sprue.

More to come later tonight or tomorrow.

Attachments

• c10.jpg
    c10.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 100320 Tail Wheel Before.jpg
    100320 Tail Wheel Before.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 100403 Tail wheel.jpg
    100403 Tail wheel.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 139
  • 100403 Wheel work.jpg
    100403 Wheel work.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 149
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. Following are the results of the weekend work:

Pic 1 is an overall shot of how the machine looks as of today. The dullcoat has been applied and the canopy was unmasked. Prop has been painted and installed. Also, some initial weathering has been done by applying some powdered graphite around the engine and access panels and doing a bit of paint chipping with a silver pencil. The guns are not yet painted.

Pic 2 is a close-up of the wing roundel and Pic 3 shows the tail area. The kit decals are fantastic and went on beautifully.

Pic 4 details the prop with the Hamilton Standard stencils. Please pardon the dust! A bit of paint chipping along the prop edge will finish this area off.

Pic 5 closes in on the port engine area to show initial stages of weathering. Here again are the engine panels grimed up and paint chips applied. Similar treatment will be applied to the wings in this high maintenance area but I want to be careful not to overdo it. A bit of fluid spillage will be applied at the appropriate fill points and exhaust stains will go on last using pastel chalk. The paint chipping is about as much as I want to go here. Photos of the real planes reveal not much paint decay, surprisingly. The wing root walkways are the kit supplied decals with silver pencil run along them very lightly. Not 100% happy with these yet.

Pic 6 is a close-up of the cockpit area with the canopy masks removed. Furtunately the paint went on well with no tear away and running under the masks. Interior green was applied first followed by the Extra Dark Sea Grey. A bit if paint chipping can be seen but a little more touch up will be done here.

Finally, Pic 7 details one of the finished wheels that were widened with a piece of plastic card glued between the wheel halves. Also seen is a small red decal simulating the marking that was applied between tire and hub to indicate relative slippage. I borrowed this decal from a left over Luftawaffe wing walkway decal.

Once again thanks for looking in.

Attachments

• 100405 Prop.jpg
    100405 Prop.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 100405 Tail.jpg
    100405 Tail.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 100405 Wing Roundel.jpg
    100405 Wing Roundel.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 100405 Overall.jpg