No. 198 Squadron Hawker Typhoon Mk. 1B

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Username: Lucky13
First name: Jan
Category: 3
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Hawker Typhoon Mk. 1B
Details: No. 198 Squadron
Decals: Aftermarket....

No 198 Squadron

Formed as No 198 (Depot) Squadron at Rochford on 27 June 1917, it was tasked with night training. Until September this was merely elementary training but from that month it also provided advanced training. It disbanded in September 1919

Reformed at Digby on 8 December 1942 as a night fighter unit equipped with Typhoons, it initially carried out defensive duties over North-East England. In March 1943 it moved to Manston, in order to intercept the German low-level fighter-bombers then making attacks against coastal targets. Early in 1944 the squadron began to train in the use of rocket projectiles and these remained its main offensive weapon until the end of the war. These weapons were used to good effect in the preparations for Operation 'Overlord' The squadron continued in the ground attack role for the rest of war, following the advancing armies through France, Belgium and the Low Countries until it arrived in Germany in April. The squadron disbanded at Wunstorf on 15 September 1945.

Motto: Igni renatus (Born again to fire)...

Squadron Codes used:

PU Allocated Apr 1939 - Sep 1939
TP Dec 1942 - Sep 1945

After failing miserable the last two GB's I hope to finish this one one in time....:oops:

Attachments

• 198Sqn.jpg
    198Sqn.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 289
  • HAJT060.jpg
    HAJT060.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 322
how about these :lol:
source Osprey - Aircraft of the Aces Series #027. Chris Thomas. Typhoon and Tempest Aces of World War 2
warpaint series No5 Hawker Typhoon

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 288
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 453
  • Clipboard04.jpg
    Clipboard04.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 323
  • Clipboard05.jpg
    Clipboard05.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Did you get the Typhoon stuff I sent you Jan?
Do you mean the kit has a three-bladed prop? I thought the 'bubbletop' kit had both. If not, then it's an earlier serial batch represented, before conversion/upgrade to the Tempest tailplane and four blade prop. Far as I know, there's a resin prop available, I think from Aires. (same as the Tempest BTW), and, IIRC, all of 198's kites had these by this date.
The first and third pics posted by Karl, both of the same aircraft, are an early 'car door' Typhoon btw, I believe photographed in Autumn 1943.

Jan

Yes this kit has the three blade prop only. Bugger. The Hasegawa kit to get, that comes with the 4 blade prop is this one. Limited Edition with 198 Squadron decals in the box. On sale at Sprue Bros at the moment.....one left!

1:48 Hasegawa Typhoon Mk.IB "No.198 Squadron" - Limited Edition Series #9862

Estimated No. of parts: 104
Base Kit: JT60(09060) + 4 blades propeller parts of 09311 (Bomb and rocket parts are included.)
Markings:
Royal A.F. No.198 SQ. TP-E June, 1944

The Canadian company "Ultracast" have the revised tail and four blade prop, as well as other neat Typhoon stuff. HTH

Cheers

Peter

Good info Peter. You can 'get away' without adding the Tempest tailplane (horizontal stabiliser), as this is hardly noticeable, especially in 1/48th scale and below, but a four blade prop is a different matter! As Hasegawa have both Typhoon versions available, I thought they'd at least include the 3 and 4 blade prop with the 'bubbletop' !! Good job I didn't get the bubbletop to add to the car door one - think I might eventually get the old Monogram kit, which does have the four blader!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back