No. 331 (Norway) Squadron Spitfire Mk. IX, FN-?, June 1944 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

....and engine cowlings! Why is that?? :confused:

This is for an early and late variants of MK.IX.That's way there are two different rudders coming with the kit.
The early Spit Mk.IX was equipped with short air intake to the carburetor but the later Mk.IXs had the longer one.

You'r welcome old Vikiing. :)

Besides there are two different sets for main landing wheels ( two different kinds of hubs), two vertical stabilizers with two different elevators and three sets of covering for wing cannon bays.

I knooooow! You forgot the four different wingtips! :lol: All that made me confused and gave me a headache! :lol: Need to find a particular 331 Squadron Spitfire and go from there then....

Gutt!? :oops: :lol:

Four different wing tips..... I have been sure I mentioned it above in the post #16. But I can be wrong...:lol:

Yep, the extra cowlings are also handy if you want to display the engine. The fuselage cowlings can be removed (they're 'counter sunk' inside), and the seaprate ones are thinner. The wingtips and other parts are in all the ICM Spit kits - easier than boxing specific parts. In theory you could build any variant of the VII, VII, IX and high-backed XVI, with 'C' or 'E' wing, as the Brownings are there too.
The Squadron used clipped-wing Spits, first with 'C', then 'E' wings, and a mix of both, also with rounded and pointed rudders, short and long intakes, the latter more common once they moved to the Continent, as it included the Vokes dust filter.
Here's a couple of code and serial number combinations, although I don't know the pilot's names, if these kites had regular pilots.
FN-C, PT934.
FN-R, PV210.
I think the work Dan and Merv are doing should have codes/serials for specific pilots for the December '44 operation.

Now, are those cowlings already there, to be used if you put the engine in, or are they to be cut off and replaced. Also, do they recommend the right colours of the engine, RAF Ocean Grey for the engine block and cylinder heads, aluminium for the valve covers.....?

I think I'd remove the cowlings moulded to the fuselage, and have the separate cowlings for display in a diorama setting, if I was exposing the engine. Engine bearers were Cockpit Grey green, as was the firewall. Oil tank bare metal, ancillaries as required.
The normal colours for the engine, in WW2, were black overall, with black rocker covers too. The supercharger gear could be seen in black, and in aluminium. The engine block itself was more of a very, very dark grey, whilst the rocker (valve) covers tended to be semi-matt black.

Fiddled a bit with the engine today.....fiddle dosn't really fully express all those tiny wee bits, that makes up the powerhouse that the Merlin was....crikey, I'm crosseyed!

What I managed to do today....might do some later.

DSCF0008-43.jpg

DSCF0014-27.jpg

DSCF0019-19.jpg

Cheers lads! Going button up mine as well, but leave the top and lower cowlings off I think....

What goes where.....paint wise?

DSCF0001-89.jpg

DSCF0002-83.jpg

DSCF0003-83.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back