**** DONE : 1/48 Hellcat Mk I JV-131 No 800 Squadron HMS Emperor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The last couple of days saw the upper surfaces painted. I began with some preshading around the engine area and wing access panels only (no pic taken) and then masked off the hard delineation between upper and lower camouflage.

The following pics show the results. I'll start by saying that the green colour looks very different in these photos than to the naked eye. The first two photos are in nattural light and the last two are taken under fluorescents in my shop. The colour actually turned out very close to the colour photos and profiles in post #89 and I'm pretty happy with the results. Colours were applied freehand using the finest tip on my Paasche VL to get a "patchy" look to the application.

This weekend will see the stripes go on and the engine cowl painted red.

Thanks for looking in.

Attachments

• 100327 Overall.jpg
    100327 Overall.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 122
  • 100327 Overall 2.jpg
    100327 Overall 2.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 100327 Overall 3.jpg
    100327 Overall 3.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 100327 Nose Closeup.jpg
    100327 Nose Closeup.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 122
That's lookin Reeeeeealy good mate. I've just painted the fuselage on my 1/72nd and am doing a Yorktown paint scheme. I hope it looks as good as yours. cheers, bill

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate all the nice comments - makes up for today's frustration with painting the stripes.

This morning started off with masking for the white areas. Given that I wanted to get a bit of a rough look to the srtipes, hastily applied as they were, I though I'd give another go at airbrushing my Pollyscale paints, past experiences having proven difficult. Today was no exception, having thinned the paint with various ratios of paint vs Windex, the application turned out to be no less difficult. With the paint thinned 30-40%, it blew puddles all over the place. With it thinned 20%, it was too thick and clogged in the tip. All in all, it took forever to apply the white but, in the end, it turned out OK with a subtle patchy look to it.

After removing the masks, I found that the white had oversprayed my masks in several places, so I had to go back and touch up both the green and grey in these areas.

Then it was masking the lines for the black. I decided to stick with the Polly scale but this time I went with a brush. I lightened the black a bit with white and then brushed it on unthinned. After removing the masks, I found that, despite burnishing the tape at the edges, a lot of the black ran under the tape in the recessed panel lines, the brush having likely pushed it underneath. So it was back to touching up with white using a very fine artist's brush run along the panel lines.

Anyway, here's how she looks now. Pic 1 shows the overall finish with the stripes applied and the red cowl which was done yesterday. The red is glossy but I'm going to apply a gloss coat for the decals anyway. The missing strips of white on the band near the tail are for the Royal Navy insignia and a/c number which were masked off on the real plane.

Pic 2 shows a close up of the stripes on the port wing. You can see the streaky look to the black, which was exactly the look I was trying to achieve. The patches in the white are less noticeable in the photo.

Finally, Pic 3 is of the canopy after the masks have been removed. Turned out pretty nice except for the bit of interior green that ran under the mask which I only noticed in the picture. Add that to the punch list.

A little more touching up will be followed by a coat of Future which I'll let dry for a few days before applying decals. If all goes well, some detailing of the wheels will be done in the meantime.

Thanks for continuing to look in and for the nice comments guys. Critiques are welcome too please!

Attachments

• 100328 Overall with stripes.jpg
    100328 Overall with stripes.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 100328 Stripes.jpg
    100328 Stripes.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 112
  • 100328 Canopy.jpg
    100328 Canopy.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 115

Users who are viewing this thread

Back