**** DONE : 1/48 Hellcat Mk I JV-131 No 800 Squadron HMS Emperor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here you go:

Attachments

• 2527541926_0a5bf2dd7a_o.jpg
    2527541926_0a5bf2dd7a_o.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 2833230822_a7d1867430.jpg
    2833230822_a7d1867430.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 3355755071_94c47949dd_o.jpg
    3355755071_94c47949dd_o.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 175
Thanks Cory. I was editing this post when you responded. Photos would be nice if you have them but my bird will be representing ETO during D-Day Channel ops.

Not a problem!

And yes, I know your bird will be ETO, but unfortunately PTO is all I have!

Crossed posts Matt.

I've posted these in numerous threads. It's easier just to re-upload them than to find where I've posted them previously.

Found one pic so far, with Hellcats onboard 'Emperor', with drop tanks on the centreline. This was during Norwegian operations, I'll post it later today. I'm still looking for a pic with D-day stripes and tanks.
I think your logic is sound though Andy - if they were flying long, standing patrols, they'd probably have the tanks.

Thanks Terry. No problem if you can't find the pics. Pretty much decided to install the tank anyway.

Thanks Dan and Dirk

The rest is going together quickly. After a little setback losing a PE piece that goes across the rear cockpit window, the fuselage halves are now together and drying as are the tailplanes. Will likely do the wings tomorrow night then assemble the major chunks before the weekend.

Thanks again guys.

A couple more progress shots. The kit's detail for attaching the wings and tailplanes is a simple recess in the fuselage. No slots and tabs here so extra attention needs to be paid to making sure enough surfaces see glue and to getting the dihedrals right.

The first pic shows the rudimentary setup I used to get the fuselage squared up and the wings correctly attached. First, the fuslelage was clamped so that the vertical axis was exactly perpendicular to the working surface. This was checked with a square placed as shown and lining up the vertical seam on the fuselage with the edge of the square by eye. Next the wings were inserted into the fuselage recesses and 1/2" spacer blocks placed under the wings at the right locations to get the desired dihedral. These can be seen just outboard of the guns. Once this rickety setup was achieved, I ran a line of ProWeld liquid glue along the top of the wing/fuselage joint to get an initial set. Once dry, I ran another line and then did the same underneath. Apart from a small gap that will need a bit of putty, the joints turned out pretty nice. Once the wings were done, a similar setup was used to glue the tailplanes on to be perfectly horizontal.

The cowl flaps provided with the kit are molded closed but I want mine to be slightly open. The next two pics show my attempt at sawing the flaps and then bending them open slightly. These are a bit wierd because of the curvature at the hinged edge which fights the needed bending. On the real bird, because the flaps are so large, they must have partly tucked underneath the engine cowl. The kit flaps being very thick, I began thinning the plastic around the edges of the flaps with my Dremel tool. Part way through, I didn't like what I was seeing and decided to revert to a different plan. I ended up cutting the flaps off completely and will make some from scratch using plastic card. This will be my weekend project.

Thanks for your continued interest!

Attachments

• 100310 Overall.jpg
    100310 Overall.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 100310 Cowl Outside.jpg
    100310 Cowl Outside.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 100310 Cowl Inside.jpg
    100310 Cowl Inside.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 118
More work on the engine cowl:

Pic 1As stated above, I got rid of the cowl flaps in favour of using scratch built ones from plastic card. To do this, I had to thin the walls of the engine cowl where the flaps would attach. The edge on the left is as supplied in the kit, quite thick. The edge on the right has been ground thin using my Dremel tool.

Pics 2 and 3 show the finished plastic card cowl flaps installed. I'm fairly happy with the result.

Pic 4 The cowl flaps were controlled with small actuators that pierced the outer skin under the flaps. I drilled some holes and glued in some stretched sprue, seen here in 4 locations, one for each flap. These will be carefully trimmed to the correct length when the cowl is installed.

When contemplating whether or not to open the oil cooler cowl flaps on the underside, I discovered an error on the Eduard instruction sheet. Only some of the Hellcats had these flaps and the rig that I'm doing, in hindsight, does not have them according to the profile (page 1). The kit is provided with two styles of cowl, one with the flaps and one without and the intruction sheet tells me to use the ones with the flaps. Since I already glued on the front section and having cut off the kit flaps, I decided to continue and just fix this.

Pic 5 shows the kit-supplied cowl with the oil cooler flaps shown. In Pic 6, I've filled in the panel lines for the flaps and scribed the continuation of the panel line and added more rivets.

Next up will be painting the interior of the cowl and gluing it to the fuelage - tomorrow! Thanks for looking in.

Attachments

• 100313 Cowl Flaps 2.jpg
    100313 Cowl Flaps 2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 100313 Cowl Flaps 1.jpg
    100313 Cowl Flaps 1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 100313 Cowl Thinning.jpg
    100313 Cowl Thinning.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 100313 Actuators.jpg
    100313 Actuators.jpg