**** DONE: 1/48 Fairy Swordfish of 816th Squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
Name: David
Category 2/Intermediate
Model: Fairey Swordfish
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Details: The 816 Squadron was re-equipped with 12 Swordfish and attached to 19 Group RAF Coastal Command at Perranporth and St Merryn for duties in the English Channel leading up to D-Day activities at Normandy.

I've always wanted to build this plane so now is finally my chance. The model is for a Mk I so I'll be doing some scratch building to turn it into a Mk II (mainly rocket rails and a new oil cooler)

Attachments

• swordfish_MkII_NF243_816_july1944_profile.jpg
    swordfish_MkII_NF243_816_july1944_profile.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 353
  • Fairy Swordfish.JPG
    Fairy Swordfish.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Damn sweet build mate 8)

I have a number of 1/72 Swordfishes in the stash , drop some motivation off when your building this one eh?

great choice and a great kit too David, looking forward to aseeing this one progress! It's a big kite, the Stringbag. I had to tow the one flown by the RN Historic Flight at an air show once, using my old Land Rover. Eight tons and long wingspan, over bumpy grass - tricky.
Just a point to make the presentation a tad more accurate; in Britain, squadrons of the RAF, RN and AAC are not refered to as, for example, '...the 816th Squadron'. It would be 'Number Eight One Six Squadron' or, more commonly, just 'Eight One Six Squadron'. Exceptions were, for instance, 111, or 222 Squadron, where it would be 'Treble One Squadron', or a single-figure squadron, such as 'Four Squadron' (4 Squadron, R.A.F.).

Just a point to make the presentation a tad more accurate; in Britain, squadrons of the RAF, RN and AAC are not refered to as, for example, '...the 816th Squadron'. It would be 'Number Eight One Six Squadron' or, more commonly, just 'Eight One Six Squadron'. Exceptions were, for instance, 111, or 222 Squadron, where it would be 'Treble One Squadron', or a single-figure squadron, such as 'Four Squadron' (4 Squadron, R.A.F.).
I was going to point that out, but I thought it would annoy people :)
Three-digit units were referred the way Terry says and two-digit, eg 56 Squadron, would be pronounced fifty six. The FAA still have 800 Squadron, no idea how that rolls off the tongue though...

FINALLY got some serious time off from work to start my build.

I left the parts on the sprue and painted them, something I normally don't do but I like it.

On the interior of the fuselage halves, I painted the exposed fabric a light tan then sponged painted a light red to mimic the primer bleeding through the fabric. It came out brighter then I was hoping so I need to tone it down a bit with some pastels. This is my 2nd Tamiya model since rejoining the ranks of model builders and I have to admit, I've been pretty impressed with them so far.

Attachments

• Sword 1.JPG
    Sword 1.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Sword 2.JPG
    Sword 2.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 251
Thanks fellas. We're under a Tornado watch so I figured I'd pass some time:

1 - Got the instrument painted and gauges put in place
2 - Cockpit cage assembled and weathered, seatbelts need to stil be added
3 - Engine finished

Attachments