**** DONE: Revell 1/48 Douglas A-20G Havoc "Butch"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maglar

Tech Sergeant
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
Username: Maglar
Category 3
Model: A-20G Havoc
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Revell
Aftermarket add ons: none

Hello all, this will be my entry into this fine GB. The kit only supplied stripes for the tail fin so the rest will have to be masked off later on (Yes I know they were hand painted, I already have an idea for that!).

Here is a backdrop on my planes info followed by some pics..

Training of the 410th BG had been in low-level attack and this form of bombing had been abandoned as too dangerous in tire European Theater of Operations. On receipt of its aircraft from depots (A-20s cane to the UK by ship), the group commenced a hurried period of retraining in bombing from medium altitudes as was IX Bomber Command practice. Eventually, there were 64 Havocs at Gosfield, 16 per squadron. all in camouflage finish. Combat markings were applied, was an alternating black and white blocked rudder as group identification.

The 410th BG flew its first mission on 1 May 1944 and others followed thick and fast, often two per day. Targets were airfields, railways, bridges, fuel and military stores, V-weapon sites, road junctions and enemy troop positions. In the course of 20 weeks' operations from Gosfield, the 418th flew 124 missions, losing 211 A-20s. almost all to flak.

Following the Allied break-out from the Normandy beach-head in late July, and the subsequent sweep across France. the 410th, in common with other IX Bomber Command units, found range was a critical factor and by September the targets were almost beyond the range of the Havocs at Gosfield. To remedy this situation, the expected move to France was finally ordered for 18 September when the majority of personnel were moved by train to Southampton for the sea crossing. The ultimate destination was the ALG A-58 at Coulommiers.

On the continent, the 410th continued operations until V-E Day, eventually being stationed at Beaumont-sur-Oise, France. The group returned to the United States during the summer of 1945, and was inactivated at Myrtle Beach AAF, South Carolina on 7 November 1945.

With the departure of the 410th to France, the USAAF presence at Gosfield airfield was reduced to a small station complement to deal with the occasional forced landing and visitor.

Attachments

• PICT1424.JPG
    PICT1424.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 466
  • PICT1425.JPG
    PICT1425.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 420
  • douglas-a20g-havoc.jpg
    douglas-a20g-havoc.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 340
  • Douglas_A-20g.jpg
    Douglas_A-20g.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 345
The A-20, one of my all-time favorite planes. Robert S. Johnson put in to be a pilot of the A-20 after he figured he didn't make it as a fighter pilot. He said it was as close to a fighter he could get as a bomber pilot. He was later surprised to learn he had qualified as a fighter pilot.

I'll be following this build for sure.

tom

Thanks all. I made a special order for this just to add some variety to the GB. Seeing all the little single engine planes made me want to find something with some size.

Started on the cockpit.. very flashy and lots of sanding. Pics to follow once I get it painted and such -

A good choice.Waiting for a few pics of the progress.

Cockpit pieces.. First I did a base interior green + light / dark for the 3D pop effect on raised and lowered surfaces (some people airbrush it, I think brush is a lot easier). Followed by a black oil wash then a raw umber wash. Light chipping applied by a brush. Time to glue it all together and see how it looks -

Attachments

• PICT1432.JPG
    PICT1432.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 332
  • PICT1431.JPG
    PICT1431.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 315
  • PICT1430.JPG
    PICT1430.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 300
  • PICT1429.JPG
    PICT1429.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 341
  • PICT1426.JPG
    PICT1426.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 318
Updates.. Packed the baby like its 4th of july. Also glued the fuselage and nose section together. Ran CA over the seams and next up is sanding -

Attachments

• PICT1437.JPG
    PICT1437.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 319
  • PICT1438.JPG
    PICT1438.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 308
  • PICT1439.JPG
    PICT1439.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 278
  • PICT1442.JPG
    PICT1442.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 296
Thanks all -

Vic, there is no turning back once the fuselage goes together.. better safe then sorry :lol: (I might pack the nose too, just for insurance!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back