**** DONE: P-47d of Lt.col. Benjamin Mayo 84th FS 78th FG duxford air base 1944

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Man that's looking good !
Just check your references for that particular kite though; when the upper surface AEAF stripes were removed, it normally left an area of bare metal on the fuselage upper decking, in the anti-glare paint, and a different tone where they had been on the upper wings. Most pics of 78th NMF birds exhibit this, as in the unfinished model shown here.

Attachments

• NMF Guide 004.jpg
    NMF Guide 004.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 153
cheers everyone and thanks T-bolt those photos are awesome i wish i had a shed to build a real one in!:lol:

Man that's looking good !
Just check your references for that particular kite though; when the upper surface AEAF stripes were removed, it normally left an area of bare metal on the fuselage upper decking, in the anti-glare paint, and a different tone where they had been on the upper wings. Most pics of 78th NMF birds exhibit this, as in the unfinished model shown here.

An interesting detail Terry. In the 370FG they sometimes over painted the stripes in OD, even if the bird was NMF!

Mayo's plane however looks to have retained the OD. Heres a pic. It does look like it has been replaced though. Can't have the Lt. Col's plane looking shabby now! :D

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• WZ-P Mayo.jpg
    WZ-P Mayo.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 174
Great pic Peter, and just what's needed to confirm the OD was there in this case.
Fatboris: Yes, it's the Academy 1/48th scale kit, and very nice too. I was dreading the nose checks decals, but they went on fine with the help of Micro Soll and a little care and patience. Far as I remember, I only had to touch in one square at the joint of the decals, but no other major dramas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back