1:32nd P-47D-25-RE of Lt. Col Francis Gabreski, June 6th, 1944 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think the entire undersides are Medium Sea Grey, with the possible exception of the undersides of the elevators only, which might be bare metal, but doubtful. The small circular inspection flap on the port landing gear cover is also MSG, although worn, and reflecting the light differently. I don't believe the light 'stripe' on the tail gear door is a reflection from the code letter, but a general reflection due to the curvature of the door itself. The leading edges of the wings show some peeling and flaking of the paint, allowing the bare metal to show through. Bear in mind, it is more than likely that this, and other aircraft of the Group, were sprayed without the benefit of a primer, the paint being applied directly to the bare metal surface. The colour shots of Schilling's aircraft, and of LM-A, in which Lt. Wilburn A. Haggard was shot down on 18 December '44 (PoW), are from Kodachrome reversal (transparency) film originals, and exhibit the typical 'blue' cast of the greys common to this period's 25 ASA film stock. The belly tank on Schilling's aircraft is Neutral Gray, and the clearly visible underwing pylon on LM-A is natural metal, and both of these show the contast between the two grays. The copies of these two pictures I have in Freeman's '8th Air Force in Colour' are very clear, sharp, and well printed, showing good contrast, and would confirm, to me at least, that the uindersides were not NMF. The only known areas of natural metal on the Groups camouflage (and other colours) painted aircraft were the wing leading edges, at a later period than the time frame being covered.
The restored P47 will have been finished in a gloss, or semi gloss paint or clear coat, in order to prevent a build-up of dirt and grime, a common and understandable practice among today's warbird owners, and this aircraft too has a Medium Sea Grey (or nearest equivalent) underside.
In summary, what may appear to be areas, panels etc of NMF in the B&W shots of Gabby's aircraft are, in fact, variations caused by dirt, wear, thinner areas of paint on a bare metal surface, and the overall lighting conditions.
These aircraft were camouflaged for a purpose, with sufficient urgency leading to the use of locally available British paint stocks, rather than have to wait for USAAF paints, and there is no logical reason why some areas of the main airframe should be left in natural metal.

Interesting info Terry, thanks for the detailed look.... Wayne and I both know that with u being a photo-geek, ur insight into this could be quite convincing...

The underside of the elevators tho, why would they paint over the nmf on them, but leave the black recognition stripe??? Paint the whole thing I say, or dont... The reflection off this area is different from the entire rest of the plane...

It's only a guess, but if they are still 'silver', it might be to do with balance. Painting them might have upset the elevator balance. Personally, unless the whole of the underside of the tailplane and elevators were left as before, I think they are grey, painted around the black stripe. Remember the shape and smoothness of the elevator will give a different reflectance rate - look at the colour pic i sent taken at Duxford, where the top of the elevator (close up) is reflecting to the point where some detail in the pic is lost.

I doubt the elevators were left unpainted - no reason why they should be. It might well be that the difference in perceived reflectance could be due to the grey paint being sprayed directly onto the silver finish, or bare metal, giving a sort of 'show through' effect, similar to when a thin coat of zinc chromate is sprayed onto bare metal. The P47 at Duxford was re-painted in an authentic 56th FG scheme after very careful and prolonged research, and the entire underside, including the elevators, is painted. However, the black I.D. bands are not present on this machine.
I'll do a bit more digging, but so far, everything points to the elevators being painted, more than likely around the black stripes.

I've done a bit more digging, including scraping through the slimey grey matter of my my memory (!), and it certainly seems that the entire underside of Gabby's aircraft would have been grey.
The first 'Bubbletop' P47 arrived in mid May '44, going to Zemke, with four more following quickly, going to Schilling and the three Squadron Commanders, Gabreski being one of them of course. All of these were delivered in bare metal, and VIII Fighter Command issued a directive for the camouflaging of the upper surfaces, in view of the fact that the Fighter Groups would more than likely be operating from Continental forward bases, at least temporarily, soon after the Invasion. Whilst other Groups used Olive Drab, the 56th used the locally available RAF paints. Some aircraft were painted on the upper surfaces only, leaving the undrsides bare metal (apart from where AEAF stripes were applied on the evening of 5th June). However, those aircraft which were totally painted, received a coating of RAF Medium Sea Grey, or, in some cases, what is thought to have been RAF Azure Blue, on the undersides. Those aircraft so painted had the entire under sides covered, as already discussed.
So, it would appear that, as mentioned, Gabreski's aircraft had an overall underside colour of Medium Sea Grey, applied directly to the surface (as was the upper surface colours) which, of course, explains the chipping and flaking exposing bare metal, where only primer would normally be visible if the paint-job had been done at BAD or SU level. It is probable that this also accounts for the slight tonal difference (apart from it being fresh paint) compared to the same colours on, say, a RAF Spitfire.

Alright, finally broke ground fellas.... Felt good gettin back into my new and improved/re-vamped modeling shop...

Started up on the pit... The version of Gabreski's crate has a ribbed floor, the kit didnt, so I fabricated them...

The back of the gauges are semi-visible, so I drilled em out and added some wires into each... Also added the 2 control linkages from the throttle quadrant....

The oxygen regulator was real simple, so I added all sorts of wires and pipes, a couple more dials and fabricated the hose...

I went ahead and got the Humbrol 75 Bronze Green and it went on like a champ... Color looks great, lighting sucks in the pics but there is one shot of the floor panel that has some decent lighting...

Attachments

• pit 010.jpg
    pit 010.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 157
  • pit 013.jpg
    pit 013.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 141
  • pit 015.jpg
    pit 015.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 152
  • pit 020.jpg
    pit 020.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 138
  • pit 027.jpg
    pit 027.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 167
  • pit 034.jpg
    pit 034.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 139
  • pit 036.jpg
    pit 036.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 151
  • pit 031.jpg
    pit 031.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 159
Yep looking pretty good there Dan.The green looks olive drab from this end but I would imagine that is dued to the indoor ligthing.Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back