1/48 P-47D, Lt Frank Oiler 84th FS, 78th FG Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fatboris

Airman
Mar 4, 2010
Colorado
Username: fatboris
Name: Eric
CategoryBeginner
Model: P-47D Thunderbolt "Eileen"
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Academy
Aftermarket add ons: None planned, scratchbuild replacements for what I break

I've wanted to build a Thunderbolt but didn't know which I wanted to build. I really like the noseart on this one. Looking forward to the cowling decal. :evil:

Attachments

• Eileen_1.jpg
    Eileen_1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 746
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 392
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to have you on board Eric, and that's a very nice kit. I've had one sitting almost finished, in a NMF from the 78th FG.
Looking forward to your progress.

A very nice choice.:D I've assumed it was for the current GB thread.Therefore I have changed a little bit the title of the post and made it sticky.

Dug in hard tonight, cockpit is coming together. I'm obviously pressed for time with the deadline coming up quick. Good news is, no travel 2 of the next 3 weeks for me and the wife and kids leave for NM for 5 days starting Thursday. Have the whole weekend to work.

Would the stripes in the pic I have be proper or do I need full blown invasion stripes? I'm going to give it a shot to paint them on but if it doesn't turn out I may need to fall back on the decals that came with the kit.

Interesting stuff while doing the research. Republic used dark green for cockpit but when field would touchup/repaint, they would use the willow interior green so it's possible to have dual color cockpits. Also, P-47's were often shipped over with bare aluminum, logic being it was faster. So when camo was applied it was done in Britain and therefore using RAF paint. Now I have to decide how I want to do cockpit, I may do a mismatch...decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
The picture indicates only the fuselage stripes, so it would be well after D-Day...with all other stripes removed or overpainted.

Do the cockpit in Dark Dull Green and then do some touch up areas...it's your model do what you are happy with...:D

As far as I know, the 78th FG's 'bubbletops' were originally in bare metal, and re-painted in RAF Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey. However, early examples were in OD and NG finish. You'd need to check references for the particualr aircraft, but I think this one was in the RAF paint finish.

Here's the cockpit...time for gluein':D

Attachments

• P 47 009.JPG
    P 47 009.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 229
  • P 47 011.JPG
    P 47 011.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 216
  • P 47 012.JPG
    P 47 012.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 255
  • P 47 013.JPG
    P 47 013.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 231
  • P 47 014.JPG
    P 47 014.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 235
Paint color on the landing gear looks RAF, no? If that's the case, I think I'm safe assuming the upper is RAF green as well. Things are starting to come along now, more pics this weekend.

Attachments

• rfcolorp47s.jpg
    rfcolorp47s.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 300
A bit difficult to tell from that pic, but the tones look more like RAF Dark Green than Olive Drab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back